Fly Fusion Forums

Indicators

nickt

just got thinking bout my last excursion to a mountain stream and it hit me. i have been meaning to ask this question for some time now. i am not really the best at feeling the ticking of my flies on the botom and usualy rely on indicators to catch majority of my fish. i do however try to go indicatorless every now and then to build up that skill. when on the mountain streams where the pools are realatively short. meaning they are shallow and then transist to deep within a few feet in distance i find that either my indicator set up gets caught up while in the shallow part. if i cast to the deep part it is usually too late for the fly to get down deep enough and is already at the end of the pool. how do you guys fish with nymphs in that situation? do you indicate or not?

Guest bigbadbrent

Hopper dropper from mid-july on when i'm fishing nymphs in shallower stuff or pocket water (Tibore can attest to me kicking his ass all day when i was doing this, and he had a normal nymph rig on).

If it's a plunge, i cast to the shallow stuff, if it ticks you just gently pull them off the bottom (kind like a mend, but just enough to move the flies off the bottom and keep drifting) until they're into the pool.

or use heavier nymphs and splitshot and it will get down in time

Hopper dropper from mid-july on when i'm fishing nymphs in shallower stuff or pocket water (Tibore can attest to me kicking his ass all day when i was doing this, and he had a normal nymph rig on).

If it's a plunge, i cast to the shallow stuff, if it ticks you just gently pull them off the bottom (kind like a mend, but just enough to move the flies off the bottom and keep drifting) until they're into the pool.

or use heavier nymphs and splitshot and it will get down in time

you know it all. you seem to be able to answer all of my questions. right on.

you can use indicators on cutty streams but it is tought too manage the depths. [focus on teh deeper runs and pick up before your into the shallows..

for droppers i usually go fairly long 2-3 feet but u can go as short as 6 inches if the fish are taking emergers and as deep as 5 ro 6 feet if u halfto fish it nymph style...

you can use indicators on cutty streams but it is tought too manage the depths. [focus on teh deeper runs and pick up before your into the shallows..

for droppers i usually go fairly long 2-3 feet but u can go as short as 6 inches if the fish are taking emergers and as deep as 5 ro 6 feet if u halfto fish it nymph style...

ok thanks max i am going to give that a shot a lttle more. i think it will help me out, cuz like you said i found the indicators hard to manage and quite often in the smaller waters they result in spooked fish.

Guest bigbadbrent

ya i normally fish them 2-3 feet down, anything further and it asks for tangles, specially when tossing huge hoppers that are air resistant.

Good thing about cuttys and rainbows in small cold streams, they're a little more willing to move a foot or two to grab a nymph

You should look at getting a couple of the new Thingamabobbers indicators. They came out with an X-small version, which in white would look just like a bubble (i use white indicators almost exclusively, easy to see, and i don't feel that fish notice them as quick.)...the x-small version would be absolutely perfect for the small streams where you're not using sanjuans as weight. Super sensitive, and will hold 2-3 nymphs and a split shot. Can't be said for yarn

I am far from an expert...I learned to nymph without a indicator years ago and did very well on streams with out them...as did my freinds...Then they started using Indies and I didn't....Then there were some days one of my buddies would catch a couple more fish than me using an indicator...And I started to think it was cuz of the indicator...It was just a head game thing...

The last couple years that I have been fishing with ggp (from the board)..and watching him catch fish after fish, without an indicator...got me back to learn how to fish without an indicator on streams...I have since fished with people that fish with an indicator...And I catch as many or more fish than them.(not bragging)...I find if you become one with the line..and feel the bottom rocks as your fly bounces over them...Knowing it is rocks..and not a hit...Bouncing the rocks on bottom makes your indicator go under or do things that make you set a false hit...And maybe spook fish, leading you to cast, and to try to get that perfect drift once again...If you keep up with your line and feel everything through your fingers...You will know the diff between bottom rocks and a hit...Heck...you can use your floating line as an indicator...I'm not saying that is the way to go...But I find it allot more challenging, than watching an indicator go under the water...I still use indicators when needed...don't get me wrong....I really like to use them on still waters...Once again...I'm not saying that is the way to nymph...But I sure enjoy it once again..

Cheers...Jeff...C&R..

In those situations I prefer the streamers - they're easier to fish and way more fun than nymphs. You'd be amazed how many big cutts won't move for a dry but will run down and crush a small clouser.

This chubby bastard was hanging out under that bush and you couldn't get a dry to him to save your life. First pass with Klaus Von Clouser and he moved a good 6' for it. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if quite a few people on here recognized that spot either. :)

post-179-1209001329.jpg

I would have to agree with Brent on the thingamabobbers. If you're going to use an indicator, these are the ones to get.

Agreed.. I started with corkies.. then went to the 'foam strip' ones, then yarn, and now the thingamabobber.. I love it. I liked yarn too but it drove me nuts that it got water logged so quick.

thingamabobers are great but work like garbage in teh wind cuz htey have no mass....... its best too carry and use both if in need of that extra mass in teh wind of softer presentaion on spooky streams... white ones can be key on clear streams...... a hceaper alternative i like too use in waterballoons u get 100 for a doller.. blow em up any size u with tye em off and attach a rubber splitring and badda bing badda boom u got a homemade thingamabob.......

Guest bigbadbrent
In those situations I prefer the streamers - they're easier to fish and way more fun than nymphs. You'd be amazed how many big cutts won't move for a dry but will run down and crush a small clouser.

This chubby bastard was hanging out under that bush and you couldn't get a dry to him to save your life. First pass with Klaus Von Clouser and he moved a good 6' for it. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if quite a few people on here recognized that spot either. :)

Got this guy a few years back when i was dead drifting it for a bully on the bottom. a good 6" long fly

HPIM0075.jpg

Just this: Learn how to nymph properly without an indicator, before learning how to nymph with one.

Practice your drifts, mends and getting that drag-free drift, and let your senses and the end of your line guide you to that strike. Fishing with an indicator becomes easy to the point of boredom once you have learned how to nymph without it.

Beyond that, whenever I am in AB, I am almost exclusively running a dry as an "indicator"