Fly Fusion Forums

Perch Diurnal Migrations

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

I drilled two holes (in the ice) at the end of the dock and have been facinated watching the fish in 6 feet of water...just like a giant aquarium. In reading the literature there seems to be a well documented migration of yellow perch into the shallows to feed just before dark.

Yesterday I fished for a good part of the day and saw no perch until 8 pm. By 8:45 pm there were tons and biting fast and furious. By 9:30 to 10 pm the action was crazy and then died off when I could not see well.

Very interesting cause I tended to catch any perch while flyfishing at dusk and that is when they are coming up to the shallows.

Trout seem to be in good shape but the perch numbers have definitely exploded. Caught a nice 18 incher on Sat and a few 16 inchers and a very nice looking 16 inch male on Sun.

I drilled two holes (in the ice) at the end of the dock and have been facinated watching the fish in 6 feet of water...just like a giant aquarium. In reading the literature there seems to be a well documented migration of yellow perch into the shallows to feed just before dark.

Yesterday I fished for a good part of the day and saw no perch until 8 pm. By 8:45 pm there were tons and biting fast and furious. By 9:30 to 10 pm the action was crazy and then died off when I could not see well.

Very interesting cause I tended to catch any perch while flyfishing at dusk and that is when they are coming up to the shallows.

Trout seem to be in good shape but the perch numbers have definitely exploded. Caught a nice 18 incher on Sat and a few 16 inchers and a very nice looking 16 inch male on Sun.

I hope you mean trout :blink:

Cool to know. Do you think their migration times will change as the days get longer??

Guest Sundancefisher
I hope you mean trout :blink:

Cool to know. Do you think their migration times will change as the days get longer??

LOL Ya...those were trout.

Biggest perch so far is 16 inches

Cheers

Sun

Guest Sundancefisher

I caught a 12 incher last night and saw a handfull of bigger ones circling. They are biting unbaited flies more than baited jigs.

PM me and I will have you over in the evening for perch fishing.