Fly Fusion Forums

Hook Decay

This topic has likely been discussed before, but I've always wondered how long it take a hook to break down in a fish's mouth. If you break off a fish and it isn't able to shake the hook, how long will it take to rust out? Have there been studies on this? I'm sure there is a big difference from salt to fresh water.

can't give you any stats or such, but given the number of trout I have released and seen released back into the Bow I've never seen a trout with a hook in it's mouth, meaning either hooks decay fairly quickly in a fishes mouth or trout have very little trouble removing hooks from their mouth. Think of all the fish hooked on the bow and busted off, then the number you've seen with hooks still in them...my 0.02

Corrosion is a function of the steel used for the specific hook and the environment (water) that it is situated in. As mentioned, salt water will increase the corrosion rates. Normal fresh water conditions we experience in Alberta will not allow for fast corrosion of the hook. Acidic conditions will also play a factor in increasing corrosion rates.

In some cases, it is a misconception that the hook will actually corrode rapidly in fresh water. What more likely happens, is due to the newer regulations with barbless hooks, the hook has a better chance of working its way loose.

I don't think that the corrosion happens too fast to be honest. I've found flies in the water before that looked to have been there a while, although rusted somewhat, they still maintain their structure. As for the hooks staying in the fish's mouth, it does happen that people catch fish with other hooks in their lips, but I suspect that the use of barbless hooks would greatly decrease the time a hook could stay stuck in a fish's mouth.

It would be interesting to hear a more scientific take on this.

I don't think that the corrosion happens too fast to be honest. I've found flies in the water before that looked to have been there a while, although rusted somewhat, they still maintain their structure. As for the hooks staying in the fish's mouth, it does happen that people catch fish with other hooks in their lips, but I suspect that the use of barbless hooks would greatly decrease the time a hook could stay stuck in a fish's mouth.

It would be interesting to hear a more scientific take on this.

Consider it done. I will get some bow river water samples and use a variety of hooks. I do corrosion testing on a daily basis. Anyone want to donate some specific hooks? :)

Guest bigbadbrent

all i can say is

don't lend your box to Tibore, he'll take it for a swim, and then a month later you'll find yourself breaking lots of hookpoints off, on your best day ever on the river