Fly Fusion Forums

Some Advice Please

Lawrence

There are some goofy ones, but I bet for 2008 you will see some major changes towards simplification. It's been talked about for a while now as part of this angler recruitment and retention strategy.

At any rate, it's all in the regs. I could say the same things about some spots in Alberta

Yes, you can use dumbbell eyes on a fly in BC. Make sure you know which regulation you have to follow, whether it be "Fly fishing only" or "Artificial fly only" Most steel rivers are fly fish only I believe

Missin, I'd like to know who in creation told you that having eyes on a fly is illegal. Cause if it is, it's NEVER EVER been enforced.

I was told this by two COs, and each person in each fly shop in Fernie. They said that it, (Dumbbell eyes), has been illegal for awhile, but has not been enforced because of the confusion due to the way it is written. I was told that they were going to start enforcing it and would continue to enforce it until enough people fought the citation so the Regulations could be changed.

By the definitions for "Artificial Fly" and "Fly Fishing", it is actually very easy to read that Dumbbell eyes would not be allowed. Whether you agree with it or not, it is what it is. Both definitions are intertwined, so if something is not allowed on an "Artificial Fly", it wouldn't be allowed if "Fly Fishing Only" is in place because by the definition, "....using an Artificial Fly....", both come into play.

"...No external weight or attracting device...." can only be understood to mean things such as dumbbell eyes because they do both do they not?

I'm with Tako; I've never heard of dumbbell eyes being considered illegal on a fly in fly-only waters. If it's part of the dressing, it's kosher. I've fished a fair bit in BC, and it's never been an issue for me.

This is exactly why I thought I would bring it up and give them a heads up....

It would suck to get a fine for doing something that you "...never heard of" that not only doesn't make sense, but isn't clearly written in the Regs. If I was fishing somewhere that I'd fished for years and got a fine because in the regulations it said I was required to wear my underwear on the outside while fishing there, I couldn't really argue if it was written in the regs....Know your regulations and if you don't understand something, either get it clearly defined or stray on the safe side.

Being that these rules won't apply to LKs and Max's trip, this topic can be closed so we can get back to the original purpose of the Thread.

A few more patterns I've done well with are the "Showgirl" tied with Purple and Pink Marabou with Crystal flash. Simple tie, but very effective.

The "Fat Pinky" is another one to try that is easy to tie. Purple tail, (Marabou will do for the tail if you don't have Purple Saddle), Body is 2/3 Pink Chenelle and 1/3 Black chenelle. Tie in a Collar with either Purple Saddle, (if you have it) or Black Saddle Hackle.

Another good pattern is the "Optic". They take a bit more time but are very good to have with you. If you take the time to tie them, tie a few different color combos. They represent fry and should be deadly for the time of year you are going.

Bunny leeches tied in Lime/Black, Pink/Purple and White/Red color combos are very effective as well and easy to tie a bunch up quickly.

If you google the patterns I listed, I'm sure you'll find the actual recipes. I'm too lazy to do it myself right now, sorry.

One last thing I will bring up is to use the correct hooks when tying. It would suck to tie a bunch of nice patterns, get all the way out to your destination and then find out that the regular hooks you use on the Bow just straighten out when in a Steelies' Jaws. :(

I was told this by two COs, and each person in each fly shop in Fernie. They said that it, (Dumbbell eyes), has been illegal for awhile, but has not been enforced because of the confusion due to the way it is written. I was told that they were going to start enforcing it and would continue to enforce it until enough people fought the citation so the Regulations could be changed.

By the definitions for "Artificial Fly" and "Fly Fishing", it is actually very easy to read that Dumbbell eyes would not be allowed. Whether you agree with it or not, it is what it is. Both definitions are intertwined, so if something is not allowed on an "Artificial Fly", it wouldn't be allowed if "Fly Fishing Only" is in place because by the definition, "....using an Artificial Fly....", both come into play.

"...No external weight or attracting device...." can only be understood to mean things such as dumbbell eyes because they do both do they not?

This is exactly why I thought I would bring it up and give them a heads up....

It would suck to get a fine for doing something that you "...never heard of" that not only doesn't make sense, but isn't clearly written in the Regs. If I was fishing somewhere that I'd fished for years and got a fine because in the regulations it said I was required to wear my underwear on the outside while fishing there, I couldn't really argue if it was written in the regs....Know your regulations and if you don't understand something, either get it clearly defined or stray on the safe side.

Being that these rules won't apply to LKs and Max's trip, this topic can be closed so we can get back to the original purpose of the Thread.

Well that sounds like garbage to me. if you read through the post of weedy's on the BC board, you'll understand where I'm coming from. They are PART of the fly, and not external. Look for that rule to be changed in the near future.

I suggest to anyone who is goig to be using dumbbels in BC that if you get charged for it, you would be well to take it to court. as there is NO MENTION of dumbbell eyes in ANY part of the BC regulation. They are tied as part of an artificial fly and are not considered external weights. Any CO who interprets dumbbell eyes as 'external weight' should be fired on the spot.

Tako

I think for an Albertan to fight a summons in BC, it would a pretty expensive proposition. By the time you factor in all the costs, it just not worth it. Simpler just to avoid the problem in the first place and use flies that aren't questionable. We'll leave the fight to you guys.

Regards Mike

Dumbell eyes are part of the fly...sometimes hard to cast but clearly a legal presentation...

If i Get time during the Spey week-end I would love to do an Intruder session with tube accessories...IMO this is going to be a serious way to tie flies for years to come...

Have to get up at 3am...takeing Rusty and friends out for a few days...

C