Fly Fusion Forums

Orvis Fly Fishing Guide Podcast - A new nymph fishing technique and the under-rated 10-foot fly rod, with George Daniel

Orvis

My guest this week is the great George Daniel [42:00], who is always pushing the envelope, evolving and experimenting.  He tells us why he uses a 10-foot fly rod for nearly all of his trout fishing, even in smaller streams and he also introduces a new nymphing technique he has been experimenting with.   In the Fly Box this week, we have a great variety of questions and tips, including:
  • Can I use a poly leader in salt water for stripers?
  • Why do I find fewer and smaller fish in low water conditions later in the season?
  • How often do you find yourself adjusting indicator depth in medium and large rivers?
  • What should I do with the reject flies from my tying bench?
  • Is a bow-and-arrow cast stealthier than a roll cast in small streams?
  • I see large crayfish in a stream.  Why don't I see smaller crayfish?
  • Are fiberglass rods more sensitive than graphite rods?
  • Do creek chubs compete with brown trout?
  • What can I do to keep the wings on my parachute flies at 90 degrees once I start fishing them?
  • I found I could double haul better with some Orvis rods I tried than with entry level rods I have.  Is it simply the difference between a premium rod and my current lower level rods?
  • I keep breaking off coho salmon.  What could I be doing wrong?
  • Can I fish egg and worm patterns and streamers with my 7-foot, 4-weight rod?
  • A tip from a listener—if you want to find out where trout live in a particular river, observe them from a bridge.
  • Is there an organization devoted specifically to smallmouth bass?

View the full article