Fly Fusion Forums

Thoughts And Opinions For The Bow Reg Changes Ii

tieflyer

Prompted by the discussion on this subject abandoned on Dec 15th, I wanted to pass personal views.

I heard back from the Ministers office ...more like her communication rep...with what was basically a,."you just don't understand; things are under control; US guides pay big fees ($79...Cdn); this is an old boring topic (I assume to the deputy minister or lessor beast within the dept); go away.",.......reply to my suggestion for licensing guides and banning 'foreign' guides.

First; enforcement for our recreational resources esp on OUR river is pathetic. (Perhaps I should have started with that one first). Second, fees don't prevent the importation of bad things. Third; riparian/protection along our river is non-existent, development a free for all for the first song and dance king that comes along.

I'm concerned we are rapidly destroying the Bow river in perhaps the reverse order to the above three and the feed back to my 'false cast', into the NEW governments lap didn't amount to even a false 'take'.

Regulations seem to favor "how I can make a buck" approach to river management with no more than patronizing gestures to science.

To put a realistic focus on this, I can assure anyone the aquatic insect life flights in June, July and August are but a tiny fraction of what they were in 1980 when I first started fishing the Bow. I can't remember what the last year was that I wore a bandana over my face to ward off swarms of caddis and mayflies. Does anyone even carry a bandana anymore?

New Regs? I don't believe we will see real substance under any government let alone the 'new guys'; their scared of their own shadows!

• Like 1