Fly Fusion Forums

A True Fishermens Friend....

PlayDoh

I'm sure anyone with a PC knows about Google earth by now, but what a tool for finding a place to fish. I've been driving around, unintentionally trespassing, all in search of a good spot. Also I've put place-marks at the locations as a journal. Noting the fly, time, date and fish details in the description. Shrinking the place-mark icon helps.

The images from the Bow, east of Calgary at least, are during the 2005 flood. I'd like to see some updates, and it would be cool if you could compare the two. I know it makes it difficult to see river bottom and flow details, not to mention makes it impossible to know exactly how it looks today. The recent floods have made the Bow a pretty dynamic river in terms of carving shoreline, and flow paths.

I'm still trying to spot a drift boat or some people in the water, although people might be impossible. In Europe the resolution is awesome, you can see people sun tanning on rooftops, and distinguish car makes. I've wondered if people got busted from Google earth? While checking out your buddies house you see your wifes car there. lol. Or some killer burying a body in the woods. hehe. I'm sure I'll see it on American Justice someday, Exhibit A.

I want to write "f you" on the top of my quonset in giant letters, for then next pictures. I can see my truck at where I used to work, only cause I always parked at the same spot that nobody else used.

Anyone have some cool 'Google sight-seeing' place-marks? There on the web, http://googlesightseeing.com/.

The whole privacy thing is what's causing the latest google tool, the virtual tour, to have problems coming to canada since it can capture faces, guys relieving themselves on the side of an LA freeway, etc.

I don't think you'll find too many drift boats in Calgary, though, as the shots were taken in winter. There is a checkbox to get the exact date.

I use GE with my GPS software to get a good route planned - sometimes you can see that what the GPS thinks is a route ain't exactly so. For some reason alot of printed maps and GE think that there's a bridge where McKinnon Flats is....

There are some odd 'large type' images. Someone spelled "Garlic?" in used tires, and other head scratchers.

trout.jpg

This guy has the same thing on his mind as me.

jgss174.jpg

jgss55.jpg

A cry for help? Or a covert narcotic operations sending messages?

jgss31.jpg

Lots of these

marryold.jpg

Greeting from Iraq

humanshields.jpg