Fly Fusion Forums

Spey Casting Question..

Guest bigbadbrent

Guest bigbadbrent

How much of an arm movement with your left arm (say you're normally a right hand, single hand caster) is done while doing most spey casting. I ask since i have significant problems with my left shoulder, so im not going to invest in a spey rod, if im going to be hurting myself every cast

Your left hand is used to add more power, but you won't be lifting it over your head (unless you want to). It's mainly used to push and pull the lower handle around like a lever. If you grab a broomstick and try a few spey motions (such as a double handed roll cast), you'll probably get a better idea. Its definitely been easier on my joints than single handed casting.

yea dude like other mentioned she aint too bad at all for teh shoulders...kinda why greg picked up the spey in teh first place actually...give me a shout i have a failry flexible work schedule ;) and ill letcha toss all mine too get a good feel dude...just picked up a skagit tip today, so i gots both sides covered on 2 of my rods...just need the original long belly...

Guest bigbadbrent

max, next week will probably be pretty open, on thursday really...

My deal is my left shoulder dislocates really really easily, like i've done it while answering the phone with my right hand, and recasting with my left arm (or setting the hook with my left arm). Even hauling starts to hurt if i do it wrong...

be glad to give it a try max, i think i know some technique anyway from what i've seen