Fly Fusion Forums

Guided Float Father's Day Present Looking For Info

My wife and kids purchased me and a buddy a guided float through country pleasures. We are both from lethbridge so our normal rivers are the crow, waterton, castle, **.****'* , and everything just north of the pass. We are both experienced flyfishers but not what I would consider experts! We are also Bow River virgins. We are willing to fish nymphs or streamers if needed but would much rather fish drys. I am looking for some info to help us make the most of our trip.

1) when would you consider the best dates of the summer for us to schedule our trip?

2) I have 9' z's in 4-6 should I be trying to borrow a 7 or a longer rod for the trip?

3) any info on which guide I should request?

4) there site doesn't mention if they supply flies, should I take my own? Or am I expected to buy what ever they suggest?

5) if given the option should I request what stretch to fish?

If you can answer any or all of my questions or have any other great advice that would be great.

Thanks wayne

1) early July. so long as your chosen guide starts early (like, REALLY stupid early) you will have a great chance of fishing dry fly stones till about 10am most days, but it's best at FIRST light which is around 430am/5am.

2) a 9ft 6wt will be fine for whatever you'd use from the boat

3) don't know the guides at that shop but I am sure some people from the board can make a recommendation

4) I'd bet you'd need to have your own on hand, and whatever the guide feels you really need and do not have I am sure they'd provide and in fact I'd be a bit shocked if they didn't.

5) graves landing to mac. big browns on the dry in the city early and by 8am your past fish creek and into a nymphing style day after then. good water all the way

hope that helps

• Like 1