Fly Fusion Forums

Huckleberries?

Anyone been down to the Castle and notice if the berries are getting close? I normally pick a few around August 10th and was wondering if the vegetation is behind or on schedule. I've been up in the Jasper area for the past month and everything's about 2 weeks behind so just hoping for a southern update. Also, long shot but anyone have any ideas for some hucks in an easily accessible area down there? My normal spot is a 45 minute hike for a fit person but an older friend of ours with heart issues is interested in coming out so open to suggestions. I just like my one huckleberry pie every year, always a nice treat.

Hope everyone is having a safe weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is curious the berries are at least a week behind, 2 weeks behind in some valleys. A few of my favorite trails were completely wrecked so access was tougher than ever before. The saskatoon crop looks really good while the huck's were looking awful at least at lower elevations. Not much ripe as of yet. Ill be out there in a few weeks for a look at the higher patches. Be bear aware down that way, its overrun with grizzlies and everyone needs to remember they have first dibs on the berries and whatever you leave out on your picnic table. Obvious fact for most but some of the folks I encounter down that way really make me wonder.