Fly Fusion Forums

Need Advice For A Salmon/steelhead Floating Line

FlyingDutchman68

Hello folks,

I'm gearing up to do some salmon and steelhead fishing this year and now I just need some advice on a good line to use. I'm hoping to learn how to do some single hand spey casting. The rod I will be using is a g.loomis 10' 8wt NRX. I'm wondering if I should put on the airflo 40+ or the rio steelhead/salmon. Here is the links to the lines.

http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/freshwater/specialty/steelhead-atlantic-salmon/

http://www.airflofishing.com/airflo-fly-lines-forty-plus-floating-forty-plus.cfm

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guest Grinr

I'm an Airflo fan myself,so can't really comment on the Rio.

40+ is a great line if it's pure distance that your looking for.I haven't actually tried it myself,but everything I've read on the atlantic forums I frequent is good reviews regarding improved distance.I'm guessing that the thinner diameter running line would compliment single spey casting?That said,on the negative side,Ive read that it's more difficult to mend at the longer distances if you plan to fish any dries?Also,being a distance line which tend to be stiffer than others,I've read complaints that the running line is somewhat prone to memory coiling in colder temps,so that might be an issue,esp. if you are trying to shoot any distance with spey casts?

Sixth Sense Float is gaining rave reviews and a huge following on the east coast,and is what I have spooled up.It's generally regarded as a more versatile,do-it-all salmon line that gives great distance and mends well,whether you're fishing dries or throwing mends to control swing speed with wets.The low-stretch properties of 6S and other Airflo lines has a great feel that transmits subtle takes and makes for solid hook sets.6SF comes rated in dual head weights that you might consider based on your rod action,casting style,and expected distance that you'll be casting?For instance,I mostly fished the Main SW Miramichi back east and strive for distance on the big main stem.I've always tended to underline my salmon rods by one line weight and carry alot of line outside the guides,so I opted for the 6SF 7/8 matched to my 8wt FLi.With a stiffer/faster rod(Loomis NRX??) or if your fishing smaller water,the 8/9 might load better for you at shorter distance and be a wee bit better choice for spey casts?

Either way,Sixth Sense is simply a great line and a pleasure to cast that IMHO will compliment any caster and rod that it's matched to,you won't be dissapointed.If it's simply pure,raw distance that you're looking for and relatively warm weather swingimg wets,you probly can't go too far wrong with the 40+ neither,although some find the feel of the ridged running line to be somewhat annoying?

I would recommend the airflo 40+ amazing single handed Spey line IMHO bin using it in most of my rods for years!! if u need to turn over tips and big flies I usually overline it then chop 6-8' off of the front.. almost becomes a single handed skagit line and will turn over anything. have this style of set up on my bulltrout and like combos and can turn over large flies and tips with the "Spey" style and overhead casts great also. the rio out bound short is another line I've bin playing with lately and have found similar results