Fly Fusion Forums

Aquifers?

zow

Ok, not looking for specific creeks or anything. I know about the obvious Alberta aquifers, like around Stauffer, Cypress Hills, down by Waterton, upper Ram area... any other areas with aquifer bubbling up? Nothing more exciting than a lush unnamed spring creek. In a perfect world I would like to buy property with a spring on it, devoid of fish, and create a clean, untrampled riparian habitat much like some of the private creeks in the states. so, any other suggestions on areas potentially worth snooping? thanks

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

what your asking to do is not legal...i think. to my knoledge can not change water ways or stock fish with out gov permition. BUT there are also some creeks here in AB that have recieved permision and have been addapeted for better breading grounds.

good luck in your search

well, i would definitely go about it legally if it's even possible! I was out in the clearwater area today and was talking to a landowner along clear creek, a spring that is a tributary to the clearwater river. And supposedly the creek used to hold tonnes of trout and then BFW did work. dredged it and fenced it in hopes of keeping the cattle out and washing as much silt away as possible.according to him theres nothing but minnows and suckers that call it home now, he said they told him theyd come back everyyear to repound poles in the fences and such....came once and never to be seen again. any idea if this is a lack of funding or more of a project gone terribly wrong? I walked a good half mile of some gorgeous water with lots of good holding water and lots of vegetation... didnt see any signs of fish where the should be...amd i was stealthing around so i know i didnt spook anything in the gin-clear water!

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

thats more of a 'clear water' specific "problem" i say it like that as its natural. not much bug life and constantly changing bottom (more so than other rivers) so it hold more mirgetory/spawning fish

hmm, well form I gather from the landowner there was some extensive 'work' done to the creek, which is for sure one of the most stable streams in the province and,used to atleast, have a very healthy bug population. Eitther way, some of the 'dugouts' sitting on or near springs in this province...could make for some fun, creative personal 'trout park' building. if it's of course legal in any form. any one have any thoughts on the legailty of something like that?

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

if its your own private pond you must call the stocker and he will send some one to check O2 levels in the water and will then will either sell you fish or tell you your pond is not up to snuff for fish.

As indicated by 420, it is my understanding that any change natural surface water ways and/or drainage should only be done with consultation and permission with the appropriate government authorities. Also note the quality and quantity of water from each spring will range from being poor to very good dependant on its source aquifer. Springs are more active in the early summer and in some cases are dormant for the rest of the year. Base on my experience as a hydrogeologist and folks I know that have a trout pond, a good case scenario would be a pond/dugout that is fed by surface water and supplemented with groundwater from a discharging aquifer (spring). There are numerous publically (government) available regional maps that provide high level data on areas of likely aquifer discharge (springs). You can use these maps as a "first cut" and then explore on the ground to verify. Good luck in your search.

Awesome! I figured there would quite a few hoops to jump through and I'm glad they are in place that's for sure. Those maps sound ideal, I'm gonna hunt down the source on the net for them and let the search begin full bore finally. Thanks for the info hydro, I bet you LOVE your job and the places it takes you. Have you seen/aware of the streams of this nature that have popped up in the western states?

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

make sure you have an airator to keep the O2 levels up and there should be no problem with getting approved to stock. Another idea for getting some extra bug life in there to start is by placing a small hey cude in the water and maybe spike it down, then i a week or so pick it out of the river and place it into your pond and there you go, insta life.

a fake alligator will keep the migretory harins/cranes out aswell

good luck and if i can be of any help but drop me a line

• 4 weeks later...