Fly Fusion Forums

Hello And A Question

piker

Hello, I reside in southern Ab. and am looking for a place to discuss my passion, fly fishing. I am fairly new after a many year hiatus and am enjoying my fly fishing. I have read a few of the more read threads and see what has been bugging me has been discussed in a sort of way, just not in the same context. My question is regarding personal space. I frequent some popular trout lakes in southern Ab. and am getting some dirty looks when I pass anglers and thinking perhaps my personal space is too small. I like to troll slowly along the shoreline with a fly and keep at least 40 yds between me and anchored boats, shore fisherman I move well out into the lake while I pass. To me this seems more than reasonable and I have had others pass well inside what my personal space is, One fellow actually passed so close I thought the boats would make contact, I was anchored at the time. What do you think, is 40 yards to close to pass or anchor, what is your personal space? Lakes are far more crowded than when I fished before, and people seem far more wound than they used to be.

Personally, I would never go closer than casting distance to someone that is anchored. That being said however, if someone is anchored over a shoal, I would make sure that I didn't pass over the shoal, as that can disturb the fish that might be cruising the shallow water, thereby ruining the fishing for those that are fishing the shoal (even if they are out of casting distance).

My personal preference is about twice as far as I can cast, or just a little more. Maybe 60 yards. I've never actually seen anyone put the backing knot through the tip, so I figure it's a safe bet that even a great caster is not going to spook any of my fish, and vice versa.

40 yards might have bothered me once but, after being crowded like you described enough times, no more. I smile and wave at guys that give me 40 yards. Don't worry about it. I still get some dirty looks from 60.