Fly Fusion Forums

Salmon/steelhead - What To Do / What Not To Do

So in about a month I'm heading out to the Skeena and Kitimat systems for 3 weeks and was looking for some general info about fishing and etiquette. I know some of the stuff with busy rivers, give steelhead a minimum of a foot of water when landing them, etc. but was wondering if there's other things I should know.

-Are there any lesser known etiquette rules I should know on busy waters other than "no low holing" and starting at the head of the pool and working down at the same pace as the other anglers?

-Any tips for landing large salmon on your own, particularly with a spey rod?

-How dangerous is it to be seen fishing a bead? LOL

-Any tips or suggestions I should know?

I've done lots of research, but am just looking for some insight from those who have been there.

Thanks guys!

So in about a month I'm heading out to the Skeena and Kitimat systems for 3 weeks and was looking for some general info about fishing and etiquette. I know some of the stuff with busy rivers, give steelhead a minimum of a foot of water when landing them, etc. but was wondering if there's other things I should know.

-Are there any lesser known etiquette rules I should know on busy waters other than "no low holing" and starting at the head of the pool and working down at the same pace as the other anglers?

-Any tips for landing large salmon on your own, particularly with a spey rod?

-How dangerous is it to be seen fishing a bead? LOL

-Any tips or suggestions I should know?

I've done lots of research, but am just looking for some insight from those who have been there.

Thanks guys!

have fun, stay within the regs, respect others, and fish whatever legal methods you think will catch fish without worrying about what the next guy thinks of your methods.