Fly Fusion Forums

Rec Recoil Stripping Guides Vs. The Standard Stripping Guides

Fishslayer74

Ok here's my question.

I just bought a TFO BVK and it has the REC recoil stripping guides on it. I'm wondering what the difference is with these guide types vs the

standard ones that come on most rods.

I ended up taking a course recently and was casting some mid range Sage rods and Orvis rods and liked some more than others and actually

found some loaded nicer then my BVK. Does the stripping guide have anything to do with this?

I'm not saying I don't like my BVK but I find it not as easy to load as some of the other rods I tried. My bad because I didn't try out rods before

purchasing the one I have. I'm kind of kicking myself for that now.

Cheers.

Ok here's my question.

I just bought a TFO BVK and it has the REC recoil stripping guides on it. I'm wondering what the difference is with these guide types vs the

standard ones that come on most rods.

I ended up taking a course recently and was casting some mid range Sage rods and Orvis rods and liked some more than others and actually

found some loaded nicer then my BVK. Does the stripping guide have anything to do with this?

I'm not saying I don't like my BVK but I find it not as easy to load as some of the other rods I tried. My bad because I didn't try out rods before

purchasing the one I have. I'm kind of kicking myself for that now.

Cheers.

Recoil guides don't have much effect on performance of the rod (maybe a minor weight saving +/- 1gr) and possibly a little slicker than regular, where they do come in handy is their ability to take punishment. The ability to flex and not come away from the blank as well as returning to their original shape saves a lot of headache.

Don't think you can compare a BVK to mid-range Sage and Orvis rods (despite the TFO hype) they are just not the same. If you are having problems loading the rod, you might want to look at up-lining one or two line weights and see where that gets you.

Colin

Recoil guides don't have much effect on performance of the rod (maybe a minor weight saving +/- 1gr) and possibly a little slicker than regular, where they do come in handy is their ability to take punishment. The ability to flex and not come away from the blank as well as returning to their original shape saves a lot of headache.

Don't think you can compare a BVK to mid-range Sage and Orvis rods (despite the TFO hype) they are just not the same. If you are having problems loading the rod, you might want to look at up-lining one or two line weights and see where that gets you.

Colin

Thanks Colin,

I acutually went out to a shop last night and tried a couple of different rods out and found that a medium-fast action rod felt better to load then my TFO BVK. Like I said in my original message that I should have tried different rods out before purchasing mine. So I ended up picking up the Sage Vantage last night and I'll use my BVK for nymphing.

Cheers.