Fly Fusion Forums

Redds Above The Sam Livingston Weir

Good day to all. I have been extremely curious (for the past 40 years) if by removing the weir(in effect) if the big Bows and Browns downstream would make the trip up into the middle Bow and up the Elbow for spawning. I have always felt that if the Elbow was available, the Bows would utilize it. I know the Browns run up in the fall.

Has anyone nticed Redds in the Elbow or on the Bow abpove the Weir...

I believe they did already, using the fish ladder that was reportedly beside the weir. I heard from numerous fishermen over the years that their are spawning beds under the Centre St. bridge due to water upwelling (making good spawning conditions), as well as up the Elbow, accounting for the seasonal closures.

One could infer that the Harvie Passage will improve communication between the sections, encouraging more fish to travel upstream. I recently came across the young construction engineer who supervised construction of Harvie Passage and he said he had observed numerous fish travelling up the Class II section in early spring.

Good day to all. I have been extremely curious (for the past 40 years) if by removing the weir(in effect) if the big Bows and Browns downstream would make the trip up into the middle Bow and up the Elbow for spawning. I have always felt that if the Elbow was available, the Bows would utilize it. I know the Browns run up in the fall.

Has anyone nticed Redds in the Elbow or on the Bow abpove the Weir...

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

they go right up to the dam in the elbow, its a nice walk in the fall watching them do their thing