Fly Fusion Forums

Lake Whitefish On The Fly

Guest Schutzy16

Guest Schutzy16

What kind of flies would you chuck at a lake going for whitefish? Thinking Cronimids, but what type of Chronimids, what size and color, and how would you fish them? Anybody have luck fly fishing for whitefish in lakes? I've never done it but might try it out this season. Thanks for the advice!

I have caught them on chirons of different colors, evil weevils, PT nymphs, boatmen. Anything that looks buggy. I have caught them on dries but it is a real crap shoot when they are feeding. Usually can't get close enough in clear lakes to sight fish. When you see them rise for a bug on the surface it is just a guess to figure out where they are heading or will come up next. I have seen which direction they were facing when coming up and casted out ahead of them only to have them turn and come up again in the exact opposite direction. Just gotta throw your dry out there and hope they find it. They are fun and fairly powerful for a small fish.