Fly Fusion Forums

Metric Fly Fishing

My name is Dwayne.

I am 179cm tall.

I weight 89kg.

I am one of the first true children of the metric system.

The thing is...I am not *that* young. I am 38 years old. In 1980, when I started grade 1, I was the first group of children to not be taught imperial units. In university, I took physics, and everything was in the metric system.

When I talk to fly flshing, I have to convert everything that someone says to me. Nothing is in SI units.

In most cases, if something is in imperial, it is a US dominated market. With the global nature of fly fishing, I would not think that to be true (I certainly could be wrong).

So why is fly fishing so slow to adapt?

My guess is that it's due to a lot of tradition, and people are just used to the imperial system. Plus a lot of young people who were taught the metric system in school were probably taught imperial by their parents or grandparents that taught them to fish. Imperial has a way of hanging around and getting instilled into a lot of the younger generation, I'm only 23 but my entire life I've heard people refer to their height in imperial, including my parents as I was being raised, so I now think in both methods, and use one system or the other in different situations - imperial for day to day life, metric for anything more scientific.

i agree with fishpro.. i was taught metric in school. and now it is only ever used for how much snow has fallen at the ski hill and how much rain we are expecting. Everything else is imperial. And until i forget how to read a tape measure i'm sure i will stay that way....