Fly Fusion Forums

Whip Finish

Birddog

Just started tying flys for the first time, and im having a heck of a time doing the whip finish with the tool i got, ive looked at videos and you tube and man im having a hard time, would it help to get a larger whip tool>?

Thanks

I bought a crown vise kit from the fishin hole and it came with a whip finisher, it seems small for my hands.

Chances are you have a materelli style tool, as for the size I personally can use a very small one and i have a fairly large hand myself. When I hold mine I only hold it with my thumb and index finger. How do you hold yours?

• 2 weeks later...
Chances are you have a materelli style tool, as for the size I personally can use a very small one and i have a fairly large hand myself. When I hold mine I only hold it with my thumb and index finger. How do you hold yours?

I found the Materelli whip finisher that flytyer mentioned to be the one and only one that I can use. It isn't easy from the beginning level but doesn't take too long to master.

I dunno if it will help you but, I found it easier to complete the whip finish if I focused on maintaining the shape of the triangle the thread forms when you set it up. Pull the string too tight and the string slips off the catch, too loose and it will just fall off. Gotta play with until you find that tension that is just right.

Try to learn it by hand as well using 3 over hand knots.

Most guys at fly shops would be willing to show you over the counter as well if you were to ask.