Fly Fusion Forums

Pontoon, Pfd , Flippers Floating Flowing Waters

wayne

First off do you wear a pfd while floating rivers with your pontoon boat? If yes what kind do you wear? Regular or inflatable. Any suggestions on something not to bulky.

Also do you wear flippers when floating rivers? I can see both pro's and con's for wearing them but would like some real life feedback on these situations.

Thanks Wayne

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i like to wear my paddling pfd because it is non restrictive and does not have any snag points on it. I like flippers so i can slow down a bit or just keep my position with out letting go of the rod, but once you land and want to go for a walk its a bit of a hasty to take them on and off.

I wear and encourage everyone on any type of water body to always wear a PFD and like most I have my personal preference.

I had a serious want more than an actual need for a manual inflating PFD when they started to become a little lower in price. ( as if they ever did) I did finally get one but as time went by I found the same stupid need for the auto-inflating PFD again I got one.

With the snot covered rocks on the Bow River right now, I have gone back to a foam filled livery style of PFD. If I slip and fall the foam filled PFD will help to cushion the fall not to mention not being worried that my inflatable doesn't get punctured as I float down the river trying to recover.

Fins are great right up until like 420Flyfishin posted when you need to get up and land the boat or the fish or both.

Always wear my Mustang inflatable life vest and for fins I use these http://www.flipfins.com/index.php?page=fin...oduct=navigator

Colin

Those are the same fins I have, do they ever loosen up? They are difficult to lock down and to release. I have also been looking at the mustang deluxe manual inflation pfd as well as some paddling pfd's from a local canoe/kayak store. Not sure which way to go.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i got mine at MEC, look for the white water kayaking ones. They give you full movement of the upper body and usually have a spot you can put a knife on.

with those flippers do you notice a loss in power due to the hinge point? if i could do it all over again i would just buy force fins!

i got mine at MEC, look for the white water kayaking ones. They give you full movement of the upper body and usually have a spot you can put a knife on.

with those flippers do you notice a loss in power due to the hinge point? if i could do it all over again i would just buy force fins!

The flippers are amazing, tons of power without much work. Once locked in place they are solid