Fly Fusion Forums

Boat Launch Report – Mckinnon Flats, Legacy Island & Johnson’s Island (carseland)

The McKinnon Flats road has experienced some erosion (again).

Legacy Island is free of wood.

The road to the Carseland boat launches is now open.

Please click on this link for details and photos.

In a Fly Fish Calgary post from earlier today, cqvguy asked about the conditions of the ‘boat ramps’ themselves.

The boat ramps are in extremely poor condition, as can be seen in the photos that I provided.

You have to decide whether you have a water craft that you are willing, and able, to lift/carry/haul/drag across whatever obstacles are shown at each boat ramp.

For the ‘alternate’ boat ramp at Carseland (closest to the bottom of the hill), the problem is not silt, but rather the very large mud flat in front of the concrete ramp.

Just a reminder that SRD has advised me that both Carseland boat ramps will be repaired in time for the July 23/24 weekend. So maybe it would be best to be patient, and plan your trip for later.

In the case of accessing Legacy Island itself, given the layer of silt on the road and parking lot, a 4x4 is a must have. After a big rainfall, I’m not sure that even a 4x4 would get you out of there.

Hope this helps.

In addition to the special email “news update” that we sent out late last night, this information was also posted last evening to my Blog, Facebook Page and Twitter feed.

If you value this kind of timely information, please consider supporting my efforts by making Bow River Shuttles your shuttle service provider of choice. :)

Kindest regards,

Michelle