Fly Fusion Forums

Likely My Next Purchase...

Dropped into springbrook today to get my rod tip replaced - partly a big mistake, Ssomeone like me in a place like that.

The BVK was brought up in conversation and I was brought in a back room. The gentleman tells me to close my eyes, hands me a rod and asks me to tell him what weight it is. I'm thinking 5 wt - no it's a 9 weight with the new BVK reel attached.

This is a really light combo, i'm going back one day to demo it out in the back yard. Didn't have time today due to work.

Dropped into springbrook today to get my rod tip replaced - partly a big mistake, Ssomeone like me in a place like that.

The BVK was brought up in conversation and I was brought in a back room. The gentleman tells me to close my eyes, hands me a rod and asks me to tell him what weight it is. I'm thinking 5 wt - no it's a 9 weight with the new BVK reel attached.

This is a really light combo, i'm going back one day to demo it out in the back yard. Didn't have time today due to work.

Yes, I have the BVK rod and it is really light. The matching reel is pretty sweet too.

Andrew

What did the combo cost you Andrew? Does it meet expectations?

I did not buy the reel, although I am thinking about it if I keep the rod. As for the price, I got it through a friend, but retail it about $250 I think.

The rod is a little lighter in the tip than I am used to, but I am sure it will make a great dry fly / streamer rod. I nymphed with it for a while the other day and I have to say that it is not really suited to that. It would need a little more lifting power for that application.

Rods are a matter of personal preference. I really want to like it, but if I were buying this as my only rod I would look to another rod.

If I decide not to keep the rod it will be in the classified section here.

Andrew