Fly Fusion Forums

Lost Hdcp Connection - Question

I rented a movie from Shaw VOD the other day and every 5 seconds it would go black and then back on. I kept getting the message "lost HDCP Connection, trying to re-establish connection". I googled this and I understand about the whole thing with the HDMI cable/technology/piracy thing - but I can't quite believe that Shaw would put a pirated copy of this movie on for purchase. The problem went away when I re-routed my HDMI cable from my receiver directly into my cable box (but losing surround sound, so that's not the answer). Anyone have this issue? Or should I call Shaw?

My TV, receiver and sound system and HDMI cable are brand new so I know it's not an equipment issue (January 2011), so I'm thinking it's a Shaw problem?

It isn't Shaw playing a pirated copy of the movie, it's the helpful HDMI technology that's trying to prevent you from pirating the movie (because hollywood think we're all potential criminals and treats us as such). Basically whatever you had between your tv and cable box probably wasn't negotiating authentication correctly so the other HDMI devices think it's an unauthorized device that you're using to try to record the movie. Sounds like the problem is the hardware on your end, most likely your receiver. Your fix is probably to either get a different receiver or switch from HDMI cables to component cables.

It isn't Shaw playing a pirated copy of the movie, it's the helpful HDMI technology that's trying to prevent you from pirating the movie (because hollywood think we're all potential criminals and treats us as such). Basically whatever you had between your tv and cable box probably wasn't negotiating authentication correctly so the other HDMI devices think it's an unauthorized device that you're using to try to record the movie. Sounds like the problem is the hardware on your end, most likely your receiver. Your fix is probably to either get a different receiver or switch from HDMI cables to component cables.

Thanks....by "receiver" do you mean the Denon I run everything through or the Shaw cable box receiver? And this is a new problem...I've rented 2 other movies in the past in the same manner and never had this issue before....

Headscan is right this doesn't have anything to do with the content being displayed, it's 100% about the connection between the cable box and the Dennon receiver. Easiest fix is to try another HDMI cable, keeping in mind that you do not need to spend more than $25 dollars on an HDMI cable unless it is 50 feet long. This probably isn't it though.

Most likely issue is a firmware (operating system) bug on either the cable box or the receiver, you may find an update from Dennon support available. Shaw will not let you control firmware updates on their box but you might want to call them as they can force a reset over the network that goes a bit lower level than you can get at with your remote, easier than trying to get them to replace it.

I'm really regretting switching to them lately.

In the last month and a half I'm into them for $120 in credit, all new cable connections, and a new cable box / pvr combo.

They're into me for $220 in pay, one service call that nobody showed up for (man did I lose it that day) and three other service calls.

The jury is still out on if what they have done will solve my issues.