Fly Fusion Forums

Langara Island Fishing Report June 11, 2011

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

I just got back last night from salmon fishing at Langara Island in the Queen Charlottes. Absolutely unbelievable fishing this year. We landed over 80 chinooks each over the 5 days. Fishing was crazy with large numbers of doubles, regular triples and even some quads for those fishing 4 rods. Chinooks were in the 12-42 lb range...averaging around 17 lbs. The sea lions were very happy with stealing some salmon. They are so fast...we figured by free spooling we can get some back...and it actually worked.

The biggest chinook salmon caught on our trip was 42 lbs, ling cod 49 lbs, halibut 146.5 lbs, snapper 22 lbs, cohos around 5-8 lbs, no pinks, 1 small sockeye, 1 - 14 lb steelhead, 11 lb chum... All said and done an excellent trip. The weather was great also!

I strongly encourage anyone on the forum to go salmon fishing this year. Your best bet to have a great time is during a peak run year. Check out the sponsors or shop around on the net...but get yourselves out fishing!

Yessireee! You better be getting excited. Mind you the commercial fleet is fishing hard between you and Langara but there should be plenty of fish making it past. We did not see the start of the coho or pink run so it will be totally sick fishing this year.

If lodges don't fill up all their spots it is just because people are not hearing about the screaming reels every 5 -10 minutes. One boat in our group had over 100 spring landed between 5 am and 9 pm. The guide had to reel a ton in also there were so many.

Crazy...next year I heard is also supposed to be wicked!

I can hardly wait to the Fall and 2012. Guys on my trip are so pumped they want me to organize another direct flight from Calgary to Masset in early Sept. I can take people from the forum. I am not working for the company...just organizing trips through an oil companies social club.

Here are some photos.

Cheers

Sun