Fly Fusion Forums

Pondering @ My Vice

Ohh man !! I couldnt help myself from gigglin' , like a little girl reading that !( yea i said it) . Thanks RDevonshire !!

Honestly , I have such a hard time even sleeping lately too , i can't stop thinking about it!! As a matter of fact , I had a "nightmare" early this morning ......dreaming that a CO was ransacking my Jeep!.....my fear was that maybe I still had a shotshell , or two kicking around in my glovie left over from last waterfowl season. She even came over and winked and told me "everything is ok "! I woke up then , and was covered in sweat ! I think I'm losing it!!!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well after reviewing the video again , ( yet was longer and w/more info regarding the "Moffitt System" last night) the circle hook alone STILL does not answer the problem regarding the fish taking it deep...hmm maybe the moffitt system is what caught my eye as well.....will have another look.

10 mins later....I found it here it is ..."Conservation" (youtube):

Read this thread before investing in the Moffitt System:

http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?...&hl=moffitt

Read this thread before investing in the Moffitt System:

http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?...&hl=moffitt

Good to see you guys are already all over that ! Wow thanks Headscan now this is a controversial issue I am willing to spend the rest of my days working on.... before i become absorbed in thought . Has there been any conclusion in the matter yet?

Seems we are near 50/50 on the issue. The law IS the law! Yet , there is always room for improvement as a society i guess . If there may be any..

IMO ..flyfishing is too imitate real flies , using natural and/or synthetic materials to mimic the different stages of an insects life , wether it is a pupa , nymph , emerger , adult , and or spinner! But that is my own personal feeling towards the sport , IF anything using streamers may not fit that bill .

I do understand , and respect that there are " purists" among us who disagree , and even non-purists who may disagree also...Honestly to me this merely is nothing less than a situation involving "pride". And I totally get that ! Kudos for those who have the skills and abilities to stick with it!! Maybe someday I will operate as well disciplined in my search for trout . Right now in my growth in this , I get so much pride and happiness when a fish accepts my offering after I put effort and TLC into each "fly" I tie , even more so when it is a Caddis that I tied ( and still need work on them) using hair from an elk that I have harvested myself , legally , lawfully , and ethically. The rush I experienced when landing my largest and smallest Brown ever (let alone whitefish) on my own SJW's is the greatest "High" I've ever been lucky enough to have encountered. Ok ...back on the subject..

Not willing to break the law in my search for the next rush , I have to admit that I am also operating in "pride" mode , in tying my own flies and using them 95% of the time.

More importantly I feel in catch and release fishing , too give the fish the best chance at survival , actual procedure trumps any attempts at flyfishing with "pride" and "emotion". They say our gut feeling is the right way ! Regardless of what has been written in black and white , and approved by a general party who may or may not be fisherman themselves , I feel this topic is a very important one , no ...a priority above all else in this lifestyle and I hope that it is open for review and that the authorities are open to change , when a more ethical method has been found.....

Thank you for the eye opener's , and the support guy's . This IS what a community is all about to me!!

PS: I have absolutely nothing against streamers , as a matter of fact I am currently getting set to step into this "Realm" myself . As it also mimics a trouts natural food source....so I consider it a part of fishing with a fly rod as well ....same as mice and leeches etc . Maybe I should not regard myself as a flyfisher any more.......hmmm

I've been looking forward to the return of the Rainbows and today was.........A day of 'Bows ! On the Bow , with the good ole Bread 'n' Butta , they didnt hit the stones for me today , just SJW..

June%2019%202011.jpg

June%2019(ii).jpg

And one of the guys caught a burbot , first thing in the morning !

So I've been trying some more patterns , lately ...weighted SJW w/floss and wire + chenille tail , some first couple of Slump Buster's ( will cut the leather off from now on) And a couple of stone's , trying new materials for building up the bulky bodies , all weighted.....( spent most of the time tying up a couple of dozen SJW's . Been out on the water most minimum every other day , if not everyday. Looking forward to getting back to work , this Monday coming and for the river to get into better condition...

lately%20001.jpg

just thought i would share , always open to ideas and methods as well as patterns.

shrunk that pic too much, not sure which size to resize it to in order to work and see what the pic actually is , my phone does great size pics automatically , camera is a bit tricky.

Going down to the river right now , cheers !

Been experimenting with new flies , and what a riot ! This was last night !

June24(i)Brown.jpg

She was only about 16 3/4+" , but I'm happy !! Still havent cracked the 22" code yet !! Or the 20/20 ..soon , I'm feeling it !!

Also , thinking of trying some of the more simple stone recipes ! Dbl edged sword with self tied flies ! Saving money!? vs. time spent tying . I spend nearly 20 minutes creating great super rubber legged stones with antennae etc , and lose em in less time on the structures near the banks . :huh:

Wow , .....Hard work and Patience truly pays off ! Thank you Mother Bow , for being so good to me yesterday !

I have paid over a decade of trying to unlock secrets on this most technical of rivers . And a huge shout out to members on this forum . Thank you FFC , and the crew at Fish Tales.... I couldnt have done it without you !! ( wish I heard of this site before May 2011 ) And some SJW's , which I have found that the trout really arent that picky in coloured water anyway . I hope this luck continues...will attempt again today . Cheers.

Jonathan

Ok so now i'm facing a problem I'm super happy to have , but dang if its not a pain . I'm bending hooks bringing fish in ! And some on the structures too , with these heavy leaders lately , using Daiichi's , Gama's , some Tiemco , and the odd Mustad ! Are there any stainless hooks or harder steeled hooks , or is it just me !!? Maybe I'm pulling them in too soon , kind of thinking that only because the heavier lines ,am I doing it like that otherwise the line would be breaking.

Oh how these home sown stone's and worms find a home in the mout's of lots of trouts !! Lately!! WHHOOOWEEEE!!! Love it !

Had a beauty blush on this one , cant see it in the shine though !!

Yesterday...

July2%2011.jpg

Oh the days of High Fives and Yeeha's !!

Stocking up on the stones today ....may get out this eve for a few hours . And in the morning !!

Super glad I still have my versi-tip , pretty sure it will come in handy swinging streamers . Droolling as I search other threads here("what are you tying?" you guy's are deadly tyers!!) jumping in that pond here soon ....can't wait !!

Cheers and may your reels scream !!

Jon

Was out again today , with some brand spankin new homemade SJW's , LDR on first cast ! ........Good sign!

Fish rising all around off and on......Golden Stonefly nymphs trying to make there way to the bank , lots of large mayflies 1" ( Drakes maybe) slate coloured . hmmm

Also ran into this little guy on a trail with his twin and they dove into their home , so w/my head on a swivel (40+ coyotes have fallen to my .204 in the past) so I am aware and experienced around these guys . I managed to coax this little guy out for some pics !! ( city pups , and den on a trail , and thats where I stayed as to not disturb) Mom and Dad out for groceries!!

Coyote%20Pup%20(i).jpg

Coyote%20Pup(iii).jpg

Coyote%20Pup(iv).jpg

Coyote%20Pup(ii).jpg

the pics of the yotes are great..too bad I wasn't with you at that time, for my Wolf Nantuc now becoming more mature would certainly make quick kills of both of them..good practice for her for when the parents arrive...

Having been on a break from the river since Sunday and resting . At this age , day in and day out on the Bow still doesnt seem like enough ...hehehe . I have been stocking up on stones and following everyone's reports , I figure that it's also propably past due time to pile on the dries , and starting this season's dry tying with a variant of a pattern "Pacres" posted on here as , Dave McPhail's variant of a Surface stonefly by Lee Wulff . So I will dub this... "Surface stone wulff !" And after a first try at it , I am totally pumped to get back on some stimies and caddis !! I would like to take this and totally see what can be done.....foam body , elk hair wing , foamy post and some hackle.....I figure it will float great !! Hopefully some of you fellas can come up with some improvements , I would like to see what can come of this....Great Hopper/Stone pattern I figure . This was tied on a 1260 Daiichi size 6.....

surface%20stone%20wulff%20001.JPG

If anyone is interested , please pass on some ideas ! Im definately thinking this could be more like a stimie with a tail , etc ...just simpler to tie with less dubbing . I always find that part the trickiest when tying . Twisting the dubbing on the thread etc . And I figure the floatability with the foam will be almost second to none , if done better

Oh and I'm thinking I will hit the river bright and early !! Southland or Dougiedale. Been too long already but the rest is worth it !! Also am planning on hitting the volunteer deal at Allen Bill Pond this weekend , if anyone is interested let me now and maybe we can car pool !! And i'm going to hit the reg's and see about stitchin' some seams on the Elbow , somewhere afterwards , "kill 2 birds w/one stone" ! Speaking of which , after checking the reg's , where is Canyon Creek ( gotta stay away from there)...man I'm itching for some brookies in my pan...cheers

Jon