Fly Fusion Forums

Guide Course/licensing

Just got back from a really fun week of bonefishing in Cuba. Interesting observation I made down there. In order for "guides" to be "guides" in Cuba, they need to take both a boating and a guiding course. From the guides I spoke with, they are not allowed to be a "guide" until they have passed both.

I know there has been much debate here about regulations for the Bow, but is it just me or does it seem a bit funny that Cuba is more concerned about their guiding regulations than Alberta? From an economic and safety perspective it makes sense-courses would provide some degree of quality control and ensure folks have the appropriate safety training in the event of any mishaps.

guides should have swift water rescue, (marine) first aid, SVOP with power boats, and take a test on provincial regulations...then have $2-3M third party liability insurance....just sayin'

As a client...I think i would want to know my guide is qualified this way.

You should see what you have to have in the ocean in BC....Federal reg's too... VHF radio ticket, COMMERCIAL boater safety course, MED A3, marine first aid, and all kinds of boat regulations, including flares, bailing bucket, safety ropes, paddles or oars, and more...

guides should have swift water rescue, (marine) first aid, SVOP with power boats, and take a test on provincial regulations...then have $2-3M third party liability insurance....just sayin'

As a client...I think i would want to know my guide is qualified this way.

Same here, but in the absence of regulations requiring this as a customer you can ask a potential guide if they have these things and not hire one who doesn't. In my mind up to date first aid and liability insurance should be bare minimums. A standard first aid and CPR course is only around $100-150 and I believe only needs to be updated every 2 years. The offroad group I'm part of has at least 4 people on every trail run who have wilderness and remote first aid/CPR training plus Find Me Spots.

yup...back in my Bow river guide days, i recall no less than three heart attacks among clients...not to mention bee stings in throats, allergic reactions, twisted ankles etc.

funny the guides association isn't all over this...then members get cheaper insurance rates etc.