Fly Fusion Forums

Missing Gill Plate?

H2O

I don't think it's a hatchery thing, because I've caught a number of brookies from lakes that had the same anomaly over the years (to varying degrees). The brookies were a naturally reproducing pop.

However, in areas that have been stocked, like you I've seen the same thing. Because it is on several fish, repeatedly, I've always assumed it was a genetic expression of some sort. Perhaps an infection?

Good quesiton!

I too would like to hear anyone's thoughts on this.

ive seen this also and figured the fish had a rough go or something happened when it was a fry...the gillplate is 3 plates i believe maybe 2...not 100% on this but...its possible i suppose too bust and lose one or part of the gillplate and still have the functions too survive...but i aint and expert here

ive seen this also and figured the fish had a rough go or something happened when it was a fry...the gillplate is 3 plates i believe maybe 2...not 100% on this but...its possible i suppose too bust and lose one or part of the gillplate and still have the functions too survive...but i aint and expert here

At first I thought it was naturally occuring too Max. But, the one pictured was identical on both of it's sides and we saw a few like this in the pond.