Fly Fusion Forums

Tube Fly Systems-a Discussion Of The Pros And Cons Of Each

Flytyer

Being that there are several tube fly systems now available to us here in North America, I'm wondering what types of opinions are out there on the various systems that are available to us.

I have used HMH, Eumer, Protube and various "found" tubes like hobby shop metal, plastic and that sort of thing. I will be trying the new Tubeology system over the next few days as I received a sample kit from the manufacturer today in the mail.

I've tied with HMH and Eumer stuff. Picked up a Pro Tube sampler at the show and plan on picking up a Tubeology kit in the next couple of weeks. I don't think the tube system matters as much as what you tie on it. The only exception is the versatility of Tubeology since you can tie one tube fly and fish it unweighted or add a cone. My biggest disappointment was the Eumer monster cones. They're a bitch to spey cast because they push a lot of water making it difficult on the lift. I also had all of mine pop off the front of the tube after a day of casting. I took identical flies with monster cones and bullet heads to Alaska and didn't do better on one than the other.

Mark, were the monster cones all the same size or mixed sizes; I have only had one pop off to date.

Looking at the Tubeology kit I just got , it appears to have a fair number of gimmick components like spinners, spinner stops; it is giving me an impression that it is more a tube fly/lure kit system. I enquired about pricing at the show and I can see that being a deterent in catching on in popularity.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i only had fish go for my Monster cones in the run off, but other than that i like their cones. The Snowbee Universal tube fly attachment is ok but not the best, i would take the strait pin style if i were to get another vise but this works.

I think they were all the medium ones but I used them all. The tubes were the appropriate size, there was a decent sized head built up behind them, and they had a decent sized lip on them. They pretty much just ripped the lip off the tube and slid up and down the leader. Not sure exactly what caused it or if some superglue would've helped, but I'm pretty sure they're more gimmick than functional.

I think they were all the medium ones but I used them all. The tubes were the appropriate size, there was a decent sized head built up behind them, and they had a decent sized lip on them. They pretty much just ripped the lip off the tube and slid up and down the leader. Not sure exactly what caused it or if some superglue would've helped, but I'm pretty sure they're more gimmick than functional.

The ones I had pop off ere the large ones but a Finnish fellow I met on the river I was fishing told me he uses some epoxy on his monster cones and hasn't had one pop off since , so perhaps super glue might work too, worth a try I'd say.

Flytyer, it sounds to me like you got the "complete" Tubeology kit, and you're right, that one's meant to be a crossover between fly and gear fishing. That kit is currently unavailable in North America, so you're pretty lucky that way. As far as the cost goes, let's walk through the math; that kit would probably retail for about $200, and allows you over 72,000 fly variations. Materials notwithstanding, that's almost 4 flies per penny. The Nano kit, which is available right now through several local retailers, doesn't have any of those "gimmicks", costs about $100, and provides 2127 fly variations, which works out to less than 5 pennies per fly. Also, the components are available through the Fishin' Hole and Wholesale Sports right now, so for an investment of about $20 a guy/gal could pick up a pack of tubes and cones, substitute a sewing needle for a mandrel, and give Tubeology a try.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i put a few wraps of saddle hackle in front of it and it wont go any where. I have found that superglue really weakens the plastic and turns it brittle.

Mark, were the monster cones all the same size or mixed sizes; I have only had one pop off to date.

Looking at the Tubeology kit I just got , it appears to have a fair number of gimmick components like spinners, spinner stops; it is giving me an impression that it is more a tube fly/lure kit system. I enquired about pricing at the show and I can see that being a deterent in catching on in popularity.

I picked up one of the Nano Tubeology kits at the show, it's my first tube system and although I only tied a couple dozen flies from the useful parts in the kit, I'll pick up more tubes and cones in the sizes/colors I think will work best (looking forward to chucking the new streamers this weekend to see how they do).

The system works and the vice adapter is fairly stable. In retrospect though, I should have opted for individual packages of tubes and cones instead of the kit.