Fly Fusion Forums

Not As Many Lakers Part 2

cowtownscribe

The Aurora was something that eluded us for a good chunk of our workshop. We spent the first two nights out at Prelude Lake, waiting for the show to start – but the cloud cover kept it hidden from sight. On our first night at the lodge, we did get a bit of a teaser, but we still had a fair amount of high broken cloud – and the light show never fully developed.

FEW_20100908_4828.jpg

The next day started out cloudy and windy – so we decided to have a macro day around the lodge. There is an incredible variety of lichens up in the high sub-arctic taiga, and I took many shots – although I still don’t know exactly what species they all are.

I do know this is Reindeer Lichen with some stray Bearberry leaves to give contrast to the picture.

FEW_20100908_4840.jpg

Not 100% certain, but I think it may be Saucer Lichen.

FEW_20100908_4842.jpg

Boo rack in laying in the ground cover behind the lodge. I took the shot, as I liked the contrasts.

FEW_20100908_4855.jpg

More mushrooms. Not sure what type, but there is also Bearberry, Crowberry, and even some Cranberry plants in the shot. Believe it or not, we actually had a lady at the lodge that was there only to pick the cranberries. Now that’s dedication!

FEW_20100908_4858.jpg

One more shot of a lichen. I believe this belongs to the camouflage family. This is not my usual style of photo – but I like the different textures in the shot.

FEW_20100909_4879.jpg

The next day, we decided to go further afield and headed south of the lodge by boat to a place called Esker Bay. As the name implies, there were endless eskers leading back into the bay and beyond. We walked along the crest of one for several miles and took in the drop dead gorgeous landscape. Although I tried, pictures really do not do it justice. It is one of those things you just need to see for yourself.

FEW_20100909_4893.jpgFEW_20100909_5033.jpgFEW_20100909_5048.jpg

I included this picture only because of the story it tells – not because it’s a great shot. On the opposite side of the bay from where we were, a heard of caribou came down the hill and swam across the narrows toward our shore. Five minutes later, we saw these two wolves – hot on their trail. They went back and forth on the far shore, as if deciding what to do. Eventually they swam across the water in pursuit of the herd. It really was a privilege to view this behaviour (even though it was at a distance)!

FEW_20100909_4906.jpg

Hang in there - 1 more part........