Fly Fusion Forums

Cold Lake Report

SNAPFisher

Had some fun fishing Cold Lake with the fly rod this past week. Fished on Tuesday and Wednesday, nice weather and calm.

The fishing was plain awesome with 14 landed on Tuesday and 10 on Wednesday. Tried out the new 10 wt with Amundson reel. Got to say the drag on the Amundson 9/10 wt is the best I've used. It had no problem slowing lakers when needed. Best fish landed was a 9 lber. The thing I'll never forgot about this one is I that I got it to the surface quick and thought "Not much of a fight on this one...". Then it sounded from the surface down 110 feet to the bottom...non-stop...had the drag on and was palming the run the entire time. Got to see the line on the fish finder make it all the way down and then slowly make it back up from 110 and it fought all the way up. That was impressive.

ColdLake0721005.jpg

Cheers!

how deep where you fishing? That sounds like an awesome trip! Did you attach your rod to a downrigger?

75 feet down was the best depth. Yep, used the downrigger. Scotty has a separate holder type for fly rods.

However, if one wanted to do it all with the fly rod the best advice I would have it to use a sinking line, probably type 7 would be best, and cast out something like a large clouser (5 inch). The ones I have bought are a bit "weak" on material. Tying one yourself would likely yield better results and I would add a decent bit of maribou to the collar with some crystal flash as well. Casting it out and letting it fall until under the boat should work for these lakers. There was quite a bit of activity even at 30-45 feet on the finder. Had one even hit while the rod was in the downrigger holder on the surface....didn't hook up though. I'm going to try this type of technique on the next trip. I got this setup for ocean fishing with the fly rod. Can't wait to catch a fiesty coho on this kind of setup.

Guest Jeremie

The only reason im asking is because im moving up to yellowknife in september and im going to go after pike and lakers in september and then in the fall for them near shore. Bringing the 9wt, 35lb lakers might be a little trouble..

The only reason im asking is because im moving up to yellowknife in september and im going to go after pike and lakers in september and then in the fall for them near shore. Bringing the 9wt, 35lb lakers might be a little trouble..

That will be amazing. A 35lber would be tough on any setup. I think a 9 wt might be a bit light but not for most fish. Best of luck up there on getting into the fish. cheers!