Fly Fusion Forums

Spilled Bird Seed Causing A Soft Lump In The Lawn?

Any of you that have bird feeders noticed anything like this? We got a feeder a few months ago, and the last while we've noticed a lump slowly growing on the lawn underneath where the feeder is. It's more than just a build up seed.. I looked at it really close today and it's like a lump of clover or moss or something. Is this normal? I can't find anything on Google...

Here's the lump (I ripped a couple chunks out to look closer):

IMG00027-20100614-1955.jpg

Closeup of one of the chunks:

IMG00028-20100614-1956.jpg

Guest frypan

bird seed is just that - seed

dump it on a wet lown and it grows

cuoldnt find it on google ha ha ha ..

ps - you the dude in the fishign magazine holding your wives purse ?

Any of you that have bird feeders noticed anything like this? We got a feeder a few months ago, and the last while we've noticed a lump slowly growing on the lawn underneath where the feeder is. It's more than just a build up seed.. I looked at it really close today and it's like a lump of clover or moss or something. Is this normal? I can't find anything on Google...

Here's the lump (I ripped a couple chunks out to look closer):

IMG00027-20100614-1955.jpg

Closeup of one of the chunks:

IMG00028-20100614-1956.jpg

[/quote

It is bird seed.If you watch them closely they flick out 20 seeds for everyone they eat.Sparrows actually have the ability to weigh each seed with their beak.Only eating the ones that are right for them.Watch with a camera or binos one day.You might change the seed you are feeding them.They figure for every 5 lbs you put out for them they only eat 1 lb.If you have other birds such as whisky jacks and jays they will take only the larger seeds.

Who knew.

I am so smart.. SMRT!!

heh heh.. so it looks like the millet is the main culprit. Apparently if you microwave the seed for a few minutes before putting it out, it will kill the seed and you won't have to worry about this problem.

Guest frypan

get yor wive to operate the micro wave , make sure you do not use a tin pie plate in it ! seems obvoius but hey ...

<--poke--<