Fly Fusion Forums

Anyone With A Dog Run?

So....I've exhausted all my gravel options...and I haven't found anyone that can do what we want before October and I'm not even sure I want a whole big dog run with all gravel anyways. I really want an area where my dogs can lie down and be comfortable, which is what I'm trying to fix.

So...we have a long dog run at the side of our house. Half of it is done in 28mm washed gravel and graded for drainage. That's where the dogs do their business and it works great....no mess, no smell. The other half, however, we decided to sod 2 years ago. Big mistake (I know....what were we thinking) and now it's just a big pile of dirt that we have to block off when it rains or else the dogs bring the mud (and I do mean mud) into my house. So....to fix that I've looked into gravel and into professional dog turf which is going to run me about $3,000 for 250 square feet. That is not happening. But that got me to thinking. Why not just plain old Home Depot Artificial Turf? Level out the area, put down 10 year weed block landscaping fabric, a couple of layers of poly with holes poked into it for drainage and then artificial turf on top? Stops the mud from coming up through the turf and allows water drainage when it rains. Sure it would have to be replaced every couple of years, but it's a good solution in my mind right now - inexpensive and solves my problems....I think. The dogs don't do their business in that part of the yard so we would have the stain/smell issues - it's just their place to play and lie. Only issue I can think of would be wear and tear.

Anyone ever done this? Any comments on whether or not this application would work here? I'm trying to avoid the "sod disaster of 2008" all over again.

So....I've exhausted all my gravel options...and I haven't found anyone that can do what we want before October and I'm not even sure I want a whole big dog run with all gravel anyways. I really want an area where my dogs can lie down and be comfortable, which is what I'm trying to fix.

So...we have a long dog run at the side of our house. Half of it is done in 28mm washed gravel and graded for drainage. That's where the dogs do their business and it works great....no mess, no smell. The other half, however, we decided to sod 2 years ago. Big mistake (I know....what were we thinking) and now it's just a big pile of dirt that we have to block off when it rains or else the dogs bring the mud (and I do mean mud) into my house. So....to fix that I've looked into gravel and into professional dog turf which is going to run me about $3,000 for 250 square feet. That is not happening. But that got me to thinking. Why not just plain old Home Depot Artificial Turf? Level out the area, put down 10 year weed block landscaping fabric, a couple of layers of poly with holes poked into it for drainage and then artificial turf on top? Stops the mud from coming up through the turf and allows water drainage when it rains. Sure it would have to be replaced every couple of years, but it's a good solution in my mind right now - inexpensive and solves my problems....I think. The dogs don't do their business in that part of the yard so we would have the stain/smell issues - it's just their place to play and lie. Only issue I can think of would be wear and tear.

Anyone ever done this? Any comments on whether or not this application would work here? I'm trying to avoid the "sod disaster of 2008" all over again.

Concrete !!!!!

Lynn,

I have artifical turf in my entire yard front and back. I have two dogs and it is great. They can't kill it and it is easy to clean up. You price of $12/sq foot seems pretty high. I paid between $7-8 sq/foot installed. I know the company I used will also just sell you the turf so you can install it your self. I think it runs around $4-5 a square. PM me and I can give you their details.