Fly Fusion Forums

2 Flys

Birddog

I would tie the bugger on first then the nymph because the nymph is smaller and lighter and I believe it floats more naturally that way.

I usually don't fish a bugger in combination with anything else though.

Try tying a san juan on first, followed by two nymphs of your choosing. You can have the two nymphs different sizes to see if the fish are keying into one over the other. Once you figure out what they are eating you can take one fly off and fish a two hook rig, or you can put the two nymphs on that the fish are keying in on under your san juan...

using a wooly bugger or other leach pattern is a good idea for adding weight to your line to get to the bottom (without having to add splitshot). a wire SJW does the same thing. journeyman hit it right on, imagine your flies underwater, if you put the bigger, heavier fly on the bottom, it will pull the line tight, and allow the little nymph minimal movement in the water. as the bigger fly is going to move where it will, it's better to have the little nymph not forced to move less naturally then it would if it were just dangling at the end of 18" of tippet.

using a wooly bugger or other leach pattern is a good idea for adding weight to your line to get to the bottom (without having to add splitshot). a wire SJW does the same thing. journeyman hit it right on, imagine your flies underwater, if you put the bigger, heavier fly on the bottom, it will pull the line tight, and allow the little nymph minimal movement in the water. as the bigger fly is going to move where it will, it's better to have the little nymph not forced to move less naturally then it would if it were just dangling at the end of 18" of tippet.

tHANKS

When flyfishing with 2 fly such as a leetch or woolly bugar, and a copper john for example would most of you fish the leetch pattern on the bottom? or vice versa?

Thanks

hi you ol bird dog ,

al , thats the best way if you put them on in-line , i like to go with the leach first and then tie off the end of the hook the light copper john fly , i also go about 15 inch's between them , another way i really like is leach on the bottom and about 12 inch's up have a dropper about 6 inch's with the copper john on it ,

and when the river bottom is full of weeds or dirty with junk , slap the split shot on the bottom with 2 droppers above , your split shot will be in the junk on the bottom while your bugs will stay pretty clean and you won't be having to clean them all the time ,

hi you ol bird dog ,

al , thats the best way if you put them on in-line , i like to go with the leach first and then tie off the end of the hook the light copper john fly , i also go about 15 inch's between them , another way i really like is leach on the bottom and about 12 inch's up have a dropper about 6 inch's with the copper john on it ,

and when the river bottom is full of weeds or dirty with junk , slap the split shot on the bottom with 2 droppers above , your split shot will be in the junk on the bottom while your bugs will stay pretty clean and you won't be having to clean them all the time ,

Thanks Dutchie, We will have to hook up some day.

AL