Fly Fusion Forums

New Float Tube

Does anyone on here have any recommendations for a new float tube? I was looking at the Dave Scadden Freestyle, but they're no longer produced or available. I'm still trying to find one, but does anyone have any other recommendations? I'm looking for something lightweight yet of decent size, and potentially something that's a cross between a float tube and a pontoon, good for both hike ins, yet possibly river-worthy as well. If not just a good float tube for stillwaters. Thanks

I own an Outcast Fatcat that I like quite a bit. Its bigger than most float tubes and has a very comfortable seat that sits you out of the water. The V-shape pontoon-type style of the tube allows it to move a bit quicker than your average tube... Its very similar to the H3 you mentioned.

I've been pretty happy with my FishCat 4. The design keeps you out of the water a little more than your standard belly boat, and there are big pockets on each side to hold all your gear. I just strap it on the backpack with carabiners and I'm good to go.

I would say it would depend on where you intend to go with it. I like to fish the mountain lakes and may have to hike a ways, so I decided to get the Outcast Trinity. It packs into a small backpack with a small pump. Not as large as the others mentioned, but I have also used it on some bigger lakes and it is stable enough. Good luck with your decision.