Fly Fusion Forums

Better Line Care?

I have been having cracking on two of my fly lines within the last year ones a GPX and one a shark skin both on my 6 wt. The cracking is on the front third of the line, these cracks go probably a third of the way through and are quite plentiful. I have not seen any negative effects such as sinking but it seems like just a matter of time before it's shot.

I think I take fairly good care of my lines - out of the sun, dry, periodic cleaning and dressing. Is this something I am doing or have other people experienced this?

I have been having cracking on two of my fly lines within the last year ones a GPX and one a shark skin both on my 6 wt. The cracking is on the front third of the line, these cracks go probably a third of the way through and are quite plentiful. I have not seen any negative effects such as sinking but it seems like just a matter of time before it's shot.

I think I take fairly good care of my lines - out of the sun, dry, periodic cleaning and dressing. Is this something I am doing or have other people experienced this?

I had the same thing on a GPX after 3 times out.I believe SA has a 2 year replacement on their lines.

• 2 weeks later...

How much "practice casting" do you do? Do you false cast without a leader? Casting without a leader and "snapping" the line as you begin the forecast can crack lines(I know from personal experience).

Had a line guy tell me "don't do that".

j

I love GPX lines. They cast perfectly on the rods I line them up with. For durability THEY SUCK. They are the worst lines on the market for cracking prematurely. After owning them for years, I know that you need to buy a new one EVERY F$%^ING YEAR! T

I love GPX lines. They cast perfectly on the rods I line them up with. For durability THEY SUCK. They are the worst lines on the market for cracking prematurely. After owning them for years, I know that you need to buy a new one EVERY F$%^ING YEAR! T

Sent one back noticed i have the same cracks on the 3wt,after less than a year.I do love the line but 2 lines in less than a year.Warrenty or not.Be lookin for another line.Hope my SA pike tapers hold up.I just replaced my cortland 444 after 8 years of abuse.

Jack: I don't practice cast without a leader but no doubt my far less than perfect casting ends up in whipping of the line.

Interesting to hear im not the only one with cracking on my SA lines. Besides the cracking I really like them though

nothing new wanny all lines crack... jsut the way she goes!!!!! like jack pointed out it has something too do with the casting.. airflo lines seemt too be the most durable out of any other imho.. they crack te least and last the longest.. useto love my SA stuff when i was a kid but i havnt fished any of there lines in 5 or 6 years now.. rio has a few sweet tapers too but airflo is slowly taking over almost all of my lines with teh exception of a few loop lines...