Fly Fusion Forums

No Water For Fish In Alberta's Water Allocation Review

Thanks for the response, Lancaster.

The comment about whether you've seen the system for yourself was an invitation. I'm glad you've had a tour though.

I'm quite cinical about how much water people need versus how much they want... when it comes down to a real decision, a judge decides and that would end up with an undesired decision, I'm sure. Really what judge would take water from an irrigator, water that his livelyhood and children depend on, and give that water to fish?

I'll take some time and read the reports in more detail... I've only breifly skimmed them.

Thanks again for the post.

Harps

Hello Harps,

Ha ha ha, if I could get more time out of the office, I would love to do a more extensive tour. Not to mention, maybe you could help me with nymphing. The last one I referred to was very good for technical details, and I thought the level of expertise for small scale farmers who employed irrigation was impressive.

Thank you for commenting on this stream of conversation. I really appreciate intelligent and knowledgeable conversations, especially with people who understand how the water rights system works in Alberta. I agree that smaller agricultural units with less intensive irrigation are a great solution for more efficient water use, but the proposed water market for Alberta isn't in the interest of those stakeholders, which is why I would hope small scale agriculture would see this upcoming water allocation review as an opportunity to update the current system.

Thank you again for your thoughtful input. I really (and I do mean this) appreciate it.

Lancaster

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Water Matters is giving a talk tonight if anyone is interested. Here is what a friend forwarded me this AM:

FEBRUARY SPEAKER EVENT TONIGHT, Wednesday, February 10th

Joe Obad from Water Matters will be speaking about his report on securing source water protection in southern Alberta http://www.water-matters-org/

Deville's in Arts Central (SE corner of second level - 100 7th Ave SW)

Doors open at 5:30 p.m., speaker starts at 6:00 p.m.

Socializing & Networking 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm

http://www.devillecoffee.ca/

Event is free for members $5 for non-members. A lifetime YEP Membership is $30 and can be purchased at the door.