Fly Fusion Forums

How To Spin Fox Hair?

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i am trying to emulate a fly i say at the show on the weekend and i am having a problem pulling off the last step.

The fly was a tube sculpin located over at the Eumer booth. I looked at it and asked how he did it, he replied that is was dubbing loop with arctic fox tail. Thinking that this was just like any other dubbing loop that i have done I did bother to ask for a demo....trying that at home has not been too successful. The longer fibers get pulled in and even though i try to keep it all separated it does not come out the same.

Have any of you tried this yet or have any advice?

Thanks

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

thats about what mine look like too. The Eumer fly was a dubbing loop for about 2-3cm and was thick! it looked more like a bunny leach all puffed strait out. capped off with a monster flat cone.

when you put the fox hair fibers into your loop align them so that the but ends are barely in there and then spin. you might also want to remove a little of the underfur (some times it can be a little to thick). when you wrap it forward around your hook pull all the fibers back so you do not wrap over itself.

PK