Fly Fusion Forums

Venture 3 Fly Reel Problem

daxlarsen

Hi, anyone who has this reel or someone who may know why i'm having the problem please assist me cause I'm considering returning the reel.

I bought a 3wt rod and it's awesome, I then purchased the G.Loomis venture 3 reel for $125 beans. it is either 1-3wt or 2-4 wt but it's the smallest int he series. My problem is that the drag can tighten up to the point of the flyline breaking before the line lets out, which is fine, but when i back the drag right off to it's lightest setting, it seems rather tough to take line out, in that if i had a 10" fish on i don't think it would be possible for it to take line out (I bought it speciifically for fishing the mountain streams which contain mainly tiny little cutthroats)

I'm not sure if this reel is known for this problem or if it simply a manufacturers defect in my specific reel. I have used it on the bow (I know undertackling don't bother telling me all about it cause I was basically testing my new rod/reel combo) I had plenty of fish on it and they were all above 16" and had no problem peeling line out, and it would seem to me that it's a perfect drag setting for a 15-18" fish but I bought the rod and reel specifically for the little cutties and I want to know if I need a new reel make all together, or just to replace this reel with one that is working properly if that is the problem.

some things that may be helpful as I'm not used to tackle this light, what is the target fish size for a 3wt reel/rod combo.

any insight would be useful,. thanks alot.

Dax

I have 3 G-Loomis Reels and I LOVE them. I have not had an issue with them, this sounds to me like a Manufacturing defect to me. I have the SAME reel, and at the lightest setting, the reel almost overspools, so there is definitely something going on with yours.

Rick

Awesome, that's what I was hoping/suspecting to hear cause it's an awesome reel and I wouldn't think a company like G-loomis would overlook something like that haha.