Fly Fusion Forums

Spey Questions

brewingup

It's been a while since I've noticed any posts on spey casting hey....

I'm at the point where I'm strongly considering getting my first spey set up. This is mainly due to the fact that i've spent a fair bit of time over the past couple years now beach fishing on vancouver island. I've been frustrated a few times (especially during higher tides) with little / no room for back casts plus issues getting the distance i need to reach rising fish, etc.

What casting / rod style should i be looking into. i want something I can use on the bow and the ocean. Something that casts far, requires little - no backcast. I'm the kind of guy that picks the lighter rod over the heavier rod when i can, etc...

I'm thinking Skagit is the way to go? How much farther can i reasonably expect to cast with a spey rod?

What do most people in calgary use? Do you use your spey rods always on the bow? Sometimes? (i've never seen anyone spey casting on the bow).

Any feedback will be helpful. And I'm sure attending the trade show would be a big help for me too.

thx

It's been a while since I've noticed any posts on spey casting hey....

I'm at the point where I'm strongly considering getting my first spey set up. This is mainly due to the fact that i've spent a fair bit of time over the past couple years now beach fishing on vancouver island. I've been frustrated a few times (especially during higher tides) with little / no room for back casts plus issues getting the distance i need to reach rising fish, etc.

What casting / rod style should i be looking into. i want something I can use on the bow and the ocean. Something that casts far, requires little - no backcast. I'm the kind of guy that picks the lighter rod over the heavier rod when i can, etc...

I'm thinking Skagit is the way to go? How much farther can i reasonably expect to cast with a spey rod?

What do most people in calgary use? Do you use your spey rods always on the bow? Sometimes? (i've never seen anyone spey casting on the bow).

Any feedback will be helpful. And I'm sure attending the trade show would be a big help for me too.

thx

I am sitting here in Mexico all packed up for our return flight home tomorrow...my wife uses a small Surf rod 11' here in the sun for Bone fish ,Tarpon,Barracuda or any other fish willing to engage. The point is she needds this set-up to get the distance and speed because of physical issues with her joints. She also uses this on Vancouver Island for beach fishing and River fishing. The idea of a Two Hander for most fishing applications is a very good one even if you don't have body issues. Skagit casting is very limiting because of the nature of physical weight coupled with line speed. Skagit lines tend to be short and heavy..like 27 to 30' or so, these baloon type bodies really catch any winds and slow down the cast seriously...Scandi and elixir type lines are better for distance being more tapered and sleek.Mid belly lines are a good bet ..

The distances typically needed off the beaches on Vancouver Island ,on difficult days,are in the 120' range..some single hand casters can accomplish these distances in good conditions easily; but not most...

To answer your question well we would have to know what distance you are comfortable with...we are doing a presentation on Beach fishing off Vancouver Island on Saturday and will have all teh lines awith rods available to play with...as well we will be casting on the pond with single handed rods and switch rods on Friday and saturday...do drop by so we can help answer your questions...

Skagit,Scandi and distance lines and match-ups

C

"nilecreekflyshop.com"

• 3 weeks later...

I'm curious about this as well. I'm presently living on the East Coast and would like to try some beach fishing on nice days over the next few months. Trout season doesn't start hear until April 1st. Anyways, I have a 5 weight 11 foot switch that I use for trout but I'm thinking that it would be too light to cast heavily weighted streamers, it may just be the line I got though. What weight do you guys use on the West Coast when beach fishing blind. I'm also wondering if something longer that an 11 footer would be more ideal since beach fishing, for me at least, would be a lot of roll casting? As well, I'm curious what the difference between a surf rod and a switch rod is?

from what ive seen for most fishing 7 n 8 wt switches in the 11 ish foot range seems too be the most popular... with casting most people seems too talk about double overhand casting with scandi lines.. i think it all matters on what type of fish u are targeting .. for pink salmon i think a 5wt would be nice but if its larger salmon/bigsea run browns.. u might want a 7 or 8wt?

from what ive seen for most fishing 7 n 8 wt switches in the 11 ish foot range seems too be the most popular... with casting most people seems too talk about double overhand casting with scandi lines.. i think it all matters on what type of fish u are targeting .. for pink salmon i think a 5wt would be nice but if its larger salmon/bigsea run browns.. u might want a 7 or 8wt?

Here on the West Coast there is no real rule of thumb...yet the most consistent factor is that the rod needs to have some back-bone ...My personal favorite Off the beach rod is Beulah's 11' 7/8 Surf rod...designed specifically for just this thing...yet sweet on the fresh water...

many of the surf fishers off the New England coast are using this rod for Stripers and other predatory fish.I would love to fish that rod off the north coast of Nova Scotia for BIG stripers!

Yet this rod is supple enough to appreciate a small trout and able to handle a 30 lb Chinook or Atlantic with ease.

The lightest Switch rod I recommend for off Beach Fishing is a 6/7 simply because when the winds decide to be a real factor- you need this...for sure. Lines can also cover a wide range...as Max says a Scandanavian Short head line is nice...usually with about a 45' head...shooting lines are also a good choice as are other lines with a farily agressive front taper able to deliver a fair size fly into the wind...don't over look full sinking lines especially if you are going after Stripers...sink rates from 2-5"/sec are often used..

Snowbee recently brought onto the market a Surf Line that absolutely blew me away...it has a 30' fast sinking head and a high bouyancy floating running line..>WOW ;one of the nicest Surf Lines I have ever worked with...and to boot I have used it here on the Island for Big Salmon in deep fast rivers with exceptional success..

Have fun

C

Thanks for the responses. I live in northern Nova Scotia actually. That record striper caught last winter in Cape Breton was only a few minutes from my place.

Anyways, I'm seriously think I'm going to get into this. I really like the idea of a 7/8 because it would be a dual purpose rod (surf and rivers). I'm just wondering about length still. If I can't really get in the water and there is limited room behind me would it make sense to go with something ridiculously long so I could chuck stuff out there. Is surf casting mostly overhead casting, are anchored casts with DH rods possible or effective?