Fly Fusion Forums

Baja Pics, At Last

rhuseby

Thank god for a gifted daughter. If it weren't for her, you guys wouldn't be seeing this. At any rate, I crossed the Mexican border on the 28th and headed for San Quintin. At the campground entrance they have a grey whale skeleton.

IMAG0004Small.jpg

I did my first fishing the next day at Laguna Manuela, enroute to Guerro Negro. This little Pacific Bonito took on the third cast.

pacificbonitoSmall.jpg

A couple of casts later, a small spotted bay bass, followed a few casts after that by this bonefish. Even though he's only about 14 inches, my 8 wt was almost to the corks slowing him down. I hadn't taken anything lighter, but I still had a hoot on the small fish. This first session, about 3 hours, I landed over 20 fish of 5 different species.

BonefishSmall.jpg

This was my campsite at Mario's in Guerro Negro. A bit barren, but the food in the restaurant was fabulous and there was power, showers and flush toilets; all for $10 US.

mariosSmall.jpg

Driving in Mexico takes attention. 8 foot lanes and no shoulders. Don't drive tired, drunk, or at night and you won't have problems. In the upgraded sections, not common, it's 9 foot lanes and 1 foot shoulders (feels like the Trans-Canada).

IMAG0006Small.jpg

At Loreto, I hired a guide for a day, my only day in a boat on the trip. $180 for 8 hours, plus $20 for bait, and I gave Jorge $40 tip. Result, 2 minutes into the day was this first fish landed. I had already lost one. These little roosters are a blast, not jumpers but they pull like hell. I landed 6 over the day. Over the day I landed about 15 fish of 7 species, and lost another 12-15 fish. We were the top scoring boat , at least double the number of any boat using conventional gear.

RoosterfishSmall.jpg

Here's Jorge with my agujon (giant needlefish). It weighed less than the rooster. Don't stick your fingers in that beak either.

GianyneedlefishSmall.jpg

There's a lot of things in Baja to keep your fingers away from.

cactus1Small.jpg

I had planned to go all the way to the East Cape, but Tropical Storm Olaf gave me this little surprise, and I was driving the minivan, so I decided to wait it out.

IMAG0097Small.jpg

However, this was happening behind me, and the forecast was for more rain, so back to Loreto for a few more days.

IMAG0103Small.jpg

To be continued.

post-482-1257977965.jpg

post-482-1257977991.jpg

Thank god for a gifted daughter. If it weren't for her, you guys wouldn't be seeing this. At any rate, I crossed the Mexican border on the 28th and headed for San Quintin. At the campground entrance they have a grey whale skeleton.

IMAG0004Small.jpg

I did my first fishing the next day at Laguna Manuela, enroute to Guerro Negro. This little Pacific Bonito took on the third cast.

pacificbonitoSmall.jpg

A couple of casts later, a small spotted bay bass, followed a few casts after that by this bonefish. Even though he's only about 14 inches, my 8 wt was almost to the corks slowing him down. I hadn't taken anything lighter, but I still had a hoot on the small fish. This first session, about 3 hours, I landed over 20 fish of 5 different species.

BonefishSmall.jpg

This was my campsite at Mario's in Guerro Negro. A bit barren, but the food in the restaurant was fabulous and there was power, showers and flush toilets; all for $10 US.

mariosSmall.jpg

Driving in Mexico takes attention. 8 foot lanes and no shoulders. Don't drive tired, drunk, or at night and you won't have problems. In the upgraded sections, not common, it's 9 foot lanes and 1 foot shoulders (feels like the Trans-Canada).

IMAG0006Small.jpg

At Loreto, I hired a guide for a day, my only day in a boat on the trip. $180 for 8 hours, plus $20 for bait, and I gave Jorge $40 tip. Result, 2 minutes into the day was this first fish landed. I had already lost one. These little roosters are a blast, not jumpers but they pull like hell. I landed 6 over the day. Over the day I landed about 15 fish of 7 species, and lost another 12-15 fish. We were the top scoring boat , at least double the number of any boat using conventional gear.

RoosterfishSmall.jpg

Here's Jorge with my agujon (giant needlefish). It weighed less than the rooster. Don't stick your fingers in that beak either.

GianyneedlefishSmall.jpg

There's a lot of things in Baja to keep your fingers away from.

cactus1Small.jpg

I had planned to go all the way to the East Cape, but Tropical Storm Olaf gave me this little surprise, and I was driving the minivan, so I decided to wait it out.

IMAG0097Small.jpg

However, this was happening behind me, and the forecast was for more rain, so back to Loreto for a few more days.

IMAG0103Small.jpg

To be continued.

Hi Nice trip great stuff..

Is that one of the 3man tents the army uses, and if so did you get it surplus?

Only asking cause I would like to get one..

Flyfishfairwx, it's a tent I got at Mountain Equipment Coop about 10 years ago. It's survived pissing rain in Tofino and Campbell River, lots of trips here with the kids and now Baja. A good little unit.

Kool

It looks just like the ones the army got just before I got out.. they sure were better then the 5man Arctics and the damnable hoochies..