Fly Fusion Forums

Definition Of A Stupid Poacher

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

I was paddling along our lake yesterday and saw a guy on shore catch a big trout. Usually people get excited...hoot and holler and take pictures...then stuff it away. In this instance within 5 seconds they had the trout in a bag and stuffed in a back pack. When I paddled closer I heard someone say "I doubt they would check". When I got beside them I asked how fishing was. They said okay. I had a sneaking suspicion everything was not on the up and up. I reported their comments to the office and asked that they get checked. When the office checked them they had 4 - large trout. Limit is one.

Moral of the story...poachers are thankfully dumb. Making comments beside a lake director...hmmmm...not wise... Especially if that director has a passion for improving the fishing in the lake. First offense now is a one year ban for stealing. Second is 2 year ban. Third is lifetime ban from fishing.

Once word spreads amongst the poaching community...hopefully they will stop.

Now to just catch more people on public waters!

Cheers

I was paddling along our lake yesterday and saw a guy on shore catch a big trout. Usually people get excited...hoot and holler and take pictures...then stuff it away. In this instance within 5 seconds they had the trout in a bag and stuffed in a back pack. When I paddled closer I heard someone say "I doubt they would check". When I got beside them I asked how fishing was. They said okay. I had a sneaking suspicion everything was not on the up and up. I reported their comments to the office and asked that they get checked. When the office checked them they had 4 - large trout. Limit is one.

Moral of the story...poachers are thankfully dumb. Making comments beside a lake director...hmmmm...not wise... Especially if that director has a passion for improving the fishing in the lake. First offense now is a one year ban for stealing. Second is 2 year ban. Third is lifetime ban from fishing.

Once word spreads amongst the poaching community...hopefully they will stop.

Now to just catch more people on public waters!

Cheers

If we had similar penalties here in Alberta for public waters, maybe we would see a decrease? And if you get caught fishing during the time you are banned, you instantly get a lifetime ban. If you're on a lifetime ban and you get caught fishing, you get a ridiculously huge fine. OR, even better, you have to do community service by helping out with stream restoration!

Ah, if only I ruled the world.... what a sweet place it would be for me, and a select group of others..... :beer:

Guest Sundancefisher
Go for it, you've got my vote :lol:. Terry

hmmmm... community service. we do need someone to scrub the rocks in the river immediately downstream sewage outfalls.

with a small, small toothbrush