Fly Fusion Forums

Dries All Year??

coolwaters

if you look hard u can fish dries all year. i wouldnt expect them too be all that productive compared too nymphs and streamers but i have found fish in the winter on the bow and crow.. jsut not tons of em.. midges hatch all winter long. the bwo's are producing most of hte fish for me the last few weeks the times ive spotted good fish working....... was a good one today thats forsure!!!!! but your on teh tail end of the "good" dryfly fishing

I'm no pro but I'm old. With the dries all year I've found tail waters able to give you a chance all year. The poor bugs are so bleeped up by the relativly constant water temperatures I've watch their wings freeze solid when they try to rise off the water and the trout were ready even out of (dry) season and half froze to suck em up. I've seen super tiny bugs in the middle of ice flows in -10 in February which might be handy if you fish size 32's. One beautiful memory was a day in Feb. 07 when I walked up behind a beautiful cutt. who was feeding with what I call total abandon, sucking back every bug in range. I couldn't see a thing on or in the water but as the only dries I had were a half chewed hopper and a mostly chewed Thorax Olive the Olive got the call. Well of corse I was excited and cast a horrible figure eight with my fly line right on its head with the fly missing the mark by ten feet however the cutt. would not be put off & covered the distance in a heart beat and slammed it. 17 or 18 inches and in full beautiful spawn colors (cutts seem to dress up early for the party) what a hoot. More times I just froze my ass especially in dec. Jan. Feb. good luck.