Fly Fusion Forums

Wabamun, Berland And Athb Report

SNAPFisher

Had an incredibly long and annoying work week...even though it was only 4 days. Took the weekend by storm and planned in some relax time.

Saturday Ayr convinced me forget Sylvan and to try out Wab (twist my rubber...). The boat launch had some decent ice that others had already broken through. That cold spell really dropped the water temps.

I was using an 8 wt which was adequate and Ayr had an awesome 10 wt that definately seems to be the right match. Things started out very slow with the odd hookup but they all seemed to get off. Slowly things began to pickup as the morning went on. By the time the first rays of the sun got through some cloud, it was almost a fish/hit a cast. Lots of 5-6 lbers with the odd monster following up. Early in the afternoon Ayr latched onto something that seemed substantial and it was:

17.5 lb monster from Wab

Wab1017001.jpg

Wab1017002.jpg

By the end of the day we were both tied with sore shoulders and arms. We lost count but we ended wayyyyyyyyyyyyy up in numbers. A complete blast.

Sunday morning I got up early and met up with my buddy Foldo in Spruce Grove. We got to Edson at 8 a.m. and then proceeded to leave North out of Edson.

First time in that country and man, it was something. I've seen some spectacular mountain vistas this year but it is nice when you run into something you were not expecting. There are a ton of foothills to climb on a greasy, grimey backroad that ends up towering above the surroundings. I think one of the most spectacular things I have seen is from hill there called Crest Hill, looking South with Edson far below, kind of like hooville…., anyways, and all of the fall colors out as far as the eye could see. The tamaracks were in full color everywhere…the valley far below lead up as far as the eye could see to the Rockies standing in total white with snow cover…sorry to get a bit poetic but man…this is a view worth seeing.

Had some fun 4 wheeling all the way into the Berland River. After some bush whacking we found it and looked for fishable water. A good unproductive morning took place but the fall pine smells and view made up for it:

As the sun began to climb a mist started coming down the river. Made for a picture that is already a fav of mine.

BerlandAthB1018001.jpg

A Foldo in the rye…er…river

BerlandAthB1018002.jpg

We worked our way back to the Athabaska River. Found some holes and water clarity that I have never seen before on that river. Foldo was into some nice grayling right away.

BerlandAthB1018003.jpg

It wasn’t until the afternoon that I managed to land one but they came quickly for me then.

BerlandAthB1018006.jpg

BerlandAthB1018007.jpg

Also had a huge bald eagle following our progress for the day, and, we ran into a family of river otters that moved to quick for a photograph. I think I found a place that I will return to…

Great weekend to help put the week behind me.

Had an incredibly long and annoying work week...even though it was only 4 days. Took the weekend by storm and planned in some relax time.

Saturday Ayr convinced me forget Sylvan and to try out Wab (twist my rubber...). The boat launch had some decent ice that others had already broken through. That cold spell really dropped the water temps.

I was using an 8 wt which was adequate and Ayr had an awesome 10 wt that definately seems to be the right match. Things started out very slow with the odd hookup but they all seemed to get off. Slowly things began to pickup as the morning went on. By the time the first rays of the sun got through some cloud, it was almost a fish/hit a cast. Lots of 5-6 lbers with the odd monster following up. Early in the afternoon Ayr latched onto something that seemed substantial and it was:

17.5 lb monster from Wab

Wab1017001.jpg

Wab1017002.jpg

By the end of the day we were both tied with sore shoulders and arms. We lost count but we ended wayyyyyyyyyyyyy up in numbers. A complete blast.

Sunday morning I got up early and met up with my buddy Foldo in Spruce Grove. We got to Edson at 8 a.m. and then proceeded to leave North out of Edson.

First time in that country and man, it was something. I've seen some spectacular mountain vistas this year but it is nice when you run into something you were not expecting. There are a ton of foothills to climb on a greasy, grimey backroad that ends up towering above the surroundings. I think one of the most spectacular things I have seen is from hill there called Crest Hill, looking South with Edson far below, kind of like hooville…., anyways, and all of the fall colors out as far as the eye could see. The tamaracks were in full color everywhere…the valley far below lead up as far as the eye could see to the Rockies standing in total white with snow cover…sorry to get a bit poetic but man…this is a view worth seeing.

Had some fun 4 wheeling all the way into the Berland River. After some bush whacking we found it and looked for fishable water. A good unproductive morning took place but the fall pine smells and view made up for it:

As the sun began to climb a mist started coming down the river. Made for a picture that is already a fav of mine.

BerlandAthB1018001.jpg

A Foldo in the rye…er…river

BerlandAthB1018002.jpg

We worked our way back to the Athabaska River. Found some holes and water clarity that I have never seen before on that river. Foldo was into some nice grayling right away.

BerlandAthB1018003.jpg

It wasn’t until the afternoon that I managed to land one but they came quickly for me then.

BerlandAthB1018006.jpg

BerlandAthB1018007.jpg

Also had a huge bald eagle following our progress for the day, and, we ran into a family of river otters that moved to quick for a photograph. I think I found a place that I will return to…

Great weekend to help put the week behind me.

Great fish and pics!

Kyle