Fly Fusion Forums

New Witch Hunt

Moose chased to exhaustion, beaten by boys

A Newfoundland Wildlife officer shoots a distressed moose in Deer Lake Aug. 10. (CBC)A young moose in western Newfoundland had to be shot by wildlife officers on Monday after being chased to the point of exhaustion and beaten with sticks by three boys on bicycles.

Police said they got a call Monday afternoon after a young moose collapsed in a backyard in Deer Lake, 50 kilometres northeast of Corner Brook.

"The moose was obviously in distress," said Deer Lake RCMP Sgt. Jacques Morneau. "[it] could not get up. It tried several times and could not stay on its feet. The animal was exhausted to the point it was near death."

Witnesses told police that three boys, all under the age of 15, were to blame.

"[They] were chasing that animal on bicycles and hitting it with sticks," said Morneau. "Apparently they chased it to the point of exhaustion."

Morneau says the scene was disturbing for him and his colleagues.

"The young moose was calling for its mother in the yard there," he said. "I mean, it's heartbreaking, right? Two officers came back here. They were totally disgusted."

Wildlife officers put the moose out of its misery with a rifle.

Morneau said the police investigation is continuing, and the boys could face charges. He said they are known to police.

Moose chased to exhaustion, beaten by boys

A Newfoundland Wildlife officer shoots a distressed moose in Deer Lake Aug. 10. (CBC)A young moose in western Newfoundland had to be shot by wildlife officers on Monday after being chased to the point of exhaustion and beaten with sticks by three boys on bicycles.

Police said they got a call Monday afternoon after a young moose collapsed in a backyard in Deer Lake, 50 kilometres northeast of Corner Brook.

"The moose was obviously in distress," said Deer Lake RCMP Sgt. Jacques Morneau. "[it] could not get up. It tried several times and could not stay on its feet. The animal was exhausted to the point it was near death."

Witnesses told police that three boys, all under the age of 15, were to blame.

"[They] were chasing that animal on bicycles and hitting it with sticks," said Morneau. "Apparently they chased it to the point of exhaustion."

Morneau says the scene was disturbing for him and his colleagues.

"The young moose was calling for its mother in the yard there," he said. "I mean, it's heartbreaking, right? Two officers came back here. They were totally disgusted."

Wildlife officers put the moose out of its misery with a rifle.

Morneau said the police investigation is continuing, and the boys could face charges. He said they are known to police.

I'll say two things:

1. Glad there was no internet or video cameras when I was a kid.

2. I'll probably get flamed for saying it, but I think we are losing perspective here. People are killed and women are raped every week in Canada, but kids chasing a moose or three guys shooting ducks has people riled up. Not saying that the duck thing was right, just that it doesn't bother me as much as some other things that people (men) do.

sad. really a shame mom didn't show up and deal with them, a pissed off adult moose is not to be trifled with.

If the mom would have showed up, and chased the kids down, there probably would be an outcry for putting her down as an aggressive moose in a town. Just the mentality. Would have been a loss of two moose.

If the mom would have showed up, and chased the kids down, there probably would be an outcry for putting her down as an aggressive moose in a town. Just the mentality. Would have been a loss of two moose.

true.

but there's always the hope that the perps get removed from the gene pool.

I have read some articals (I will see if I can find them) from medical magazines (Will admit that half the words I read I don't even understand) but it states that children that purposly case down and hurt animals are more likely to be mean and aggressive when they grow older.

Now not saying that this will happen to every kid but I can diffently see an impact, espically if the kids are not repremended for it. The kids will then in my own opion be more likely to do it again as they did not see the wrongs of their actions. I am a firm beliver that when these things happens and kids are invovled then it is very important to nip it in the butt, these kids showing these types of behaviours are our future.

I use to snare gophers as a kid but that was about it, everything else we did was hunting related and was with in the law.

As for the duck thing, I was surprised by some of the offenders comments such as we didn't know, so your telling me that there are places in canada that you can shot guns from a moving vechicle??????

People do dumb things at the best opf times and need to be reminded of what they are doing cause alot of problems we have are handed down from generation to generation.

I'll say two things:

2. I'll probably get flamed for saying it, but I think we are losing perspective here. People are killed and women are raped every week in Canada, but kids chasing a moose or three guys shooting ducks has people riled up. Not saying that the duck thing was right, just that it doesn't bother me as much as some other things that people (men) do.

Number 1: Amen

Number 2: Not by me

Ever watch "Dexter".... Nuff said!!

P

I have read some articals (I will see if I can find them) from medical magazines (Will admit that half the words I read I don't even understand) but it states that children that purposly case down and hurt animals are more likely to be mean and aggressive when they grow older.

Now not saying that this will happen to every kid but I can diffently see an impact, espically if the kids are not repremended for it. The kids will then in my own opion be more likely to do it again as they did not see the wrongs of their actions. I am a firm beliver that when these things happens and kids are invovled then it is very important to nip it in the butt, these kids showing these types of behaviours are our future.

I use to snare gophers as a kid but that was about it, everything else we did was hunting related and was with in the law.

As for the duck thing, I was surprised by some of the offenders comments such as we didn't know, so your telling me that there are places in canada that you can shot guns from a moving vechicle??????

People do dumb things at the best opf times and need to be reminded of what they are doing cause alot of problems we have are handed down from generation to generation.

Brad, my point is that scenarios such as the character "Dexter" more specifically, the flashbacks of of his childhood (as well as Charles Manson, and many others) are in fact a reality (my G/F is a psychologist and has a few clients that are sociopaths) and all have a history of animal abuse when they are children... Like you stated...

P

No offence, but that is a fictional story in a fictional reailty, I would of used someone like Mr. Manson myself.

Guest Sundancefisher

I have to agree that people take a step back and say based upon societal norms and public behavior and respect towards animals what is acceptable and how far from the norm is it. If the behavior goes too far then that can be a sign of more deviant behavior.

That understandably freaks people out.

My biggest problem with some of these stories is that journalists all to often sensationalize and exagerate their stories. Knowing all the facts and reading the fact from a paper are almost always two different things.

Video is harder to lie with when not edited.

I'll say two things:

These kids should be sent to juvie to straighten em out before they can become said murderers and rapists

I'm sorry , but those kids as you call them, which I don't, Knows better and if not , both them and their parents should be flogged..you ask "who's fault is it"..if parents taught their off springs in the mannerism, that I was taught, or a good number of you were maybe crap like this wouldn't surface so many times..my brother is a 'Research Psychologist', specializing in Pedophiles, and in his dealings with patients, Abuse to Animals was also the beginning...ppl should get their head out of their A**es and start to teach their young before it is to late.....or is it all ready?............Wolfie

Wolfie,

Didn't you write in a previous post something about sicking your pet wolf onto someone?! LoL <--poke--<<--poke--< What does that say... Hmmm!!

P

P.S. <kidding> ;)

I'm sorry , but those kids as you call them, which I don't, Knows better and if not , both them and their parents should be flogged..you ask "who's fault is it"..if parents taught their off springs in the mannerism, that I was taught, or a good number of you were maybe crap like this wouldn't surface so many times..my brother is a 'Research Psychologist', specializing in Pedophiles, and in his dealings with patients, Abuse to Animals was also the beginning...ppl should get their head out of their A**es and start to teach their young before it is to late.....or is it all ready?............Wolfie

I really think that people need to take a step back and take a hard look at themselves... these duck poachers have been crucified and now these kids chasing a moose... read the responses some of you have made but here's the latest.

Please have a read.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundland-labr...isited-812.html

and please, rethink what some of you are saying

... these duck poachers have been crucified and now these kids chasing a moose...

thanks for the update. dad said they were vandalizing a church instead [?].

much better.

anglicans are better able to defend themselves after all.

but i would hardly call the duckin' idiots fines a crucifiction.

Wolfie,

Didn't you write in a previous post something about sicking your pet wolf onto someone?! LoL <--poke--<<--poke--< What does that say... Hmmm!!

P

P.S. <kidding> ;)

th_no_text.gifth_no_text.gifonly have done that during working hours m8...not on my day off....th_EVC3641.gif...................Wolfie