Fly Fusion Forums

Are You Tying Barbless?

Smitty

How many of you tie barbless?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. So I would like to know, since its been a few years now in AB with barbless hooks, how many of you have switched to tying with barbless?

• I have switched and I now tie with barbless.
    • The problem is, I really like certain brands of barbed hooks, so I pinch down the barb after (or before, or during!) the tying process.
    • I have some of both, but mostly barbless.
    • I have some of both, but mostly barbed.
    • I remain hopeful that this topic won't provoke any of us to just yap at each other, and we all remain lovers of cake.

Hey guys, was reading an old Canadian Fly Fisher and I started to think about this.

My next poll will/would be about favorite brands of hooks, but I would like a serious tier to do it; I haven't tied flies in years, and don't have the familiarity with brand names.

Smitty

P.S. I voted for the last one. ;)

Hey guys, was reading an old Canadian Fly Fisher and I started to think about this.

My next poll will/would be about favorite brands of hooks, but I would like a serious tier to do it; I haven't tied flies in years, and don't have the familiarity with brand names.

Smitty

P.S. I voted for the last one. ;)

I prefer to tie on Daiichi.

I wasn't quite sure how to answer. Basically when I shopping for new hooks for a specific pattern I try to buy barbless if the are available however I have lots, probably around 95% of my hooks, with barbs. So I make an effort to pinch the barbs prior to putting the hook in the vice.

But I do like cake!

I buy barbless when I can, but like most people who've been tying for a long time, I have a big inventory of barbed hooks.

While on the topic of barbless hooks, I noticed something recently. I was using a double nymph rig with the top fly being a stonefly tied on a barbless hook. I prefer to tie the dropper off the bend of the top hook, and I discovered that with the smooth tapered point on the barbless hook, the dropper line had a tendency to slide off. A pinched barb provides enough of a bump to prevent this. After it happened a couple of times (slow learner here) I reverted to tying the dropper from the eye of the top fly. Terry

I'm same as lot of you though I do have some barbless hooks now. I always pinch the barbs before I tie, just because sometimes the tip snaps off and I hate when that happens to a fly I have just finished :$*%&: .

I normally pinch down all my hooks before I tie usually by the box as I buy them. I also find that a good quaity hook will not snap with folding the barb down. It's the cheapo brands that are too brittle or inconsistent.