Fly Fusion Forums

Jetboat Choices.

I am pretty sure I am going to buy a jet boat for next season. I'd like to get feedback from anyone whose willing to share it relative to my options. My needs are not ideal for picking a boat. I am in need of a boat I can take on lakes and still run skinny water. Ideally I would have something which was around 16/17 feet long, was light, picked up on step quick and allowed for deep and skinny water. I understand this optimal mix probably does not exist so I will likely end up with a compromise. The vendors I am looking at are:

Outlaw Eagle

http://www.outlaweagle.com/

http://www.outlaweagle.com/outlaw_5.html

WooldRidge

http://www.wooldridgeboats.com/boats/classic.htm

Seems to have a good deadrise 17 in the front and 12 in the back for skinny water.

Custom Weld

http://www.customweld.com/

Alumafix

http://www.alumafix.ca/showroom/index.php?...ge=DSCN1110.JPG

The last choice is perhaps my favorite but a poor choice for a lake. I like the compromise of a 16 / 18 degrees deadrise on the bow with a 11 or so deadrise on the planing surface. I *think* that would be a reasonable compromise but I can only see it in a heavier boat than I want.. I like lighter because it's easer to get on step at slower speeds and given I am a novice jet boater I like the extra security that gives me when trying to sort out what is good water and what is not. In any event, any advice would be appreciated.

al

Al:

Make sure it has the "Cowcatcher" attachment to save yourself dents when you pluck those pesky fly slinging guys on the Red Deer. <--poke--<

:)

Dad and I had a custom made Marathon Marine (edmonton) jetboat, but we went back to a lund deep V for lakes, and we float rivers in an inflatable.

Tough to pick an all-round boat in Alberta that can service different scenarios.

What will be the boat's primary use? Answering that will help you lean one way or the other. I assume its fishing, but will it be mostly lakes or mostly rivers? After we faced the truth that the vast majority of our boat time is in bigger pike/walleye lakes, we went back to a Lund fishing machine (the inflatable awesome for pot hole lakes and for rivers, we're mostly walk and wade anyways).

I'm saying determining those primary needs are best in figuring out which compromises are the best.

Smitty.

Hi Al,

I just bought a used 17 foot SeaArk with a 40/30 jet from Hyde Drift Boats in Idaho. The

previous owner traded it in for a Power Drifter. I had Hyde set the boat up for rowing.

Works good on the Bow River - If you put 3 guys in the boat over 200 lbs it's doesn't

really plane properly. Three skinny guys and it fly's. Email me for more info. You can come over and take a look at it.

Doug

Hi Al,

I just bought a used 17 foot SeaArk with a 40/30 jet from Hyde Drift Boats in Idaho. The

previous owner traded it in for a Power Drifter. I had Hyde set the boat up for rowing.

Works good on the Bow River - If you put 3 guys in the boat over 200 lbs it's doesn't

really plane properly. Three skinny guys and it fly's. Email me for more info. You can come over and take a look at it.

Doug

Thanks for the offer Doug, I may take you up on it. Hope your enjoying it.

Al

Don't know how far along you are on a decision but if going outboard consider

a 4 stroker....I know more money and weight etc, etc but I think they are

a lot easier on the environment and a lot quieter when passing other

fisherman. It's a consideration thing and it looks like the Bow (anyway) is going

to see a lot more jets and anything to lighten the impact as seen from other

fisherman (non jetters) and the environment needs to be taken into consideration.

For the river 17'-18' 60/40 is a good fit and would probably fit the bill for most

jet water here and most any moving water you might want to fish in BC. Lake

is different and don't know if there is a config that can serve two masters. Hell

don't be so cheap and just buy 2 boats!

Have fun.

Al

Don't know how far along you are on a decision but if going outboard consider

a 4 stroker....I know more money and weight etc, etc but I think they are

a lot easier on the environment and a lot quieter when passing other

fisherman. It's a consideration thing and it looks like the Bow (anyway) is going

to see a lot more jets and anything to lighten the impact as seen from other

fisherman (non jetters) and the environment needs to be taken into consideration.

For the river 17'-18' 60/40 is a good fit and would probably fit the bill for most

jet water here and most any moving water you might want to fish in BC. Lake

is different and don't know if there is a config that can serve two masters. Hell

don't be so cheap and just buy 2 boats!

Have fun.

I will be going to for a 4 stroke. I am not a huge fan of 2 strokes for all the reasons you mentioned.

al

I will be going to for a 4 stroke. I am not a huge fan of 2 strokes for all the reasons you mentioned.

al

You wont have much of a choice, 4 strokes is all that is available in those sizes unless you are lucky to get a good used 2 stroke.

and hey al, is your smart car able to tow a boat?

PK

I am pretty sure I am going to buy a jet boat for next season. I'd like to get feedback from anyone whose willing to share it relative to my options. My needs are not ideal for picking a boat. I am in need of a boat I can take on lakes and still run skinny water. Ideally I would have something which was around 16/17 feet long, was light, picked up on step quick and allowed for deep and skinny water. I understand this optimal mix probably does not exist so I will likely end up with a compromise. The vendors I am looking at are:

Outlaw Eagle

http://www.outlaweagle.com/

http://www.outlaweagle.com/outlaw_5.html

WooldRidge

http://www.wooldridgeboats.com/boats/classic.htm

Seems to have a good deadrise 17 in the front and 12 in the back for skinny water.

Custom Weld

http://www.customweld.com/

Alumafix

http://www.alumafix.ca/showroom/index.php?...ge=DSCN1110.JPG

The last choice is perhaps my favorite but a poor choice for a lake. I like the compromise of a 16 / 18 degrees deadrise on the bow with a 11 or so deadrise on the planing surface. I *think* that would be a reasonable compromise but I can only see it in a heavier boat than I want.. I like lighter because it's easer to get on step at slower speeds and given I am a novice jet boater I like the extra security that gives me when trying to sort out what is good water and what is not. In any event, any advice would be appreciated.

al

you really have to figure out what you will use the boat for the most. there is no one perfect boat for all applications. a lake boat and a river boat are 2 completely different beasts.

they are all good boats that you have researched but all very different. Mikes alumifix out of Hazelton are fantastic boats (riden and driven lots of them right from the very first one he ever built) but is completely different than the Tomcat (which you have been in). i considered mikes boats when I made my new purchase but it is solely a river fishing boat. If you go with one of the larger boats I would recommend an inboard.

call anytime,

PK

I picked up a new rig this spring and I love it and I think my fishing buddies do too. I feel comfortable taking it out on a big lake as it is very stable. In the river it rows awesome and takes very little water 6 inches on plane. A little under powered with more than 3 guys and all their gear. But no battery to contend with and no center consol to get in the way. Aluminum floor is great too. Rowing frame is a little bit of a pain on a lake but it comes out with 4 straps. It only take 15 minutes to blow up and put the floor in. It will go 45- 50 km going down stream and 30 km upstream. If you are a thrill seaker get a huge gas eating noisey one which holds more beer (like the ones on the lower red). If you want to catch fish go light.

So is that your actually boat?! If so, you are not really fly fishing in the vid, are you... Hmmm... <--poke--<

P

I picked up a new rig this spring and I love it and I think my fishing buddies do too. I feel comfortable taking it out on a big lake as it is very stable. In the river it rows awesome and takes very little water 6 inches on plane. A little under powered with more than 3 guys and all their gear. But no battery to contend with and no center consol to get in the way. Aluminum floor is great too. Rowing frame is a little bit of a pain on a lake but it comes out with 4 straps. It only take 15 minutes to blow up and put the floor in. It will go 45- 50 km going down stream and 30 km upstream. If you are a thrill seaker get a huge gas eating noisey one which holds more beer (like the ones on the lower red). If you want to catch fish go light.

So is that your actually boat?! If so, you are not really fly fishing in the vid, are you... Hmmm... <--poke--<

P

Fish were all landed quickly and the hooks were obviously debarbed from what I saw. More than I can say about some fly fishermen I've seen. Also, I know lots of guys who both fly fish and use gear.

Yeah, I know, I was just busting his chops!!

P

Fish were all landed quickly and the hooks were obviously debarbed from what I saw. More than I can say about some fly fishermen I've seen. Also, I know lots of guys who both fly fish and use gear.

P

Yes I was flyfishing in two segments and yes we did catch a 23 inch rainbow and a 21 brown on the fly. The brown was on a size 16 sparkle dun on 6 X tippet and yes it was a 60 foot cast. I am a fisherman not a snob! I don't allow snobs in the boat.

I guess I'll never be invited then!! LoL :P

Cheers,

P

Yes I was flyfishing in two segments and yes we did catch a 23 inch rainbow and a 21 brown on the fly. The brown was on a size 16 sparkle dun on 6 X tippet and yes it was a 60 foot cast. I am a fisherman not a snob! I don't allow snobs in the boat.