Fly Fusion Forums

Kid Fishing Spot

I'd like to take my toddler out fishing. Any tips on a sure-thing lake? Perch lake? I'd like it to be very close to or, preferably, in Calgary.

She won't last long, but I think she will enjoy it. She has an unhealthy obsession with fish and fishing, only lightly encouraged by me.

Lydia, "More fishy! More fishy! More fishy!"

Me, "I know how you feel, honey."

lol

Conor,

Obviously a bobber and perch would be a great choice, or perhaps a smaller lake with medium size pike, but both of these are a drive.

If you're trying to stay in the Calgary area in the summer, I'd have to recommend up by the Bearspaw Dam from just after peak runoff through July and August.

Most serious fly fishers hang around the lower Bow. In my experience, the section of the river just below the dam produces smaller fish, but provides more consistent outings. I can't say I've never gotten skunked, but it's pretty rare. If you were to perhaps start your daugher off with one of those surgical tubing bobbers and a #6 stonefly, and you're both willing to do the walk and cast to try a few different spots, you might surprised at what she finds. There are plenty of larger trout that are 5 feet from shore.

There is also a good stretch upstream from the Shouldice bridge in Bowness, on the North side of the river. There is even a parking lot just off Home Road leading down, beside a church.

The advantage of these two spots are that if you live on the west side of town, you can get in a couple of hours after supper on a summer evening. Both have plenty of trees and make for a nice outing / walk.

Eric.

.....you should come out here to Cochrane and fish the Mitford ponds....we are having a clinic this morning until 12pm......get your Hannah Montana fishing rod and some dew worms and rock it......afterwards go to Mackay's for some ice cream.

The pond at Spruce Meadows is nice if they've stocked it yet. I think it may have winter killed last year, but it's small, usually lots of rainbows, and there are horsies nearby. Catch and release only, but I'm not sure if you can use bait, though I think you can.

The pond at Spruce Meadows is nice if they've stocked it yet. I think it may have winter killed last year, but it's small, usually lots of rainbows, and there are horsies nearby. Catch and release only, but I'm not sure if you can use bait, though I think you can.

No bait allowed at Spruce Meadows,but a nymph or 2 under a small bobber would work, IF it's been stocked.

Pond is stocked was there today with my 6 yr old. I'm pretty sure signs around the pond say nothing about the use of bait, " catch and release, barbless hooks and a number to call if you catch a tagged fish.". Just about everyone uses bait there.