Fly Fusion Forums

Golden Trout?

timw

I read an article last year describing where some people were hiking in and fishing for golden trout - believe that the location was somewhere in the Crowsnest Pass.

Golden Trout are on my list of "todo's" the year.

If anyone can provide info, I would appreciate it.

Thanks very much,

Tim

When I look at the Backroad Mapbook it looks like Rainy Ridge Lake is in BC. On Google Earth there is a lake just over the border in BC too. Is Rainy Ridge Lake the lake with the small island?

I have never fished for golden trout down south. I would like to give it a try. I have been to Michele Lakes twice and caught fish both times, but it is 8+ hours of bushwacking to get there.

It's been over 20yrs since I 've been up there and I never spent much time on the BC side but there are some lakes on the west side of the Continental Divide, there is a ridge in there called Three Lakes. Rainy however is on the Alberta side. The co-ordinates I got from; http://www.anglersatlas.com/lakes/25521/

http://flyfishingthebow.com/rainyridge08.htm

Those coordinates are a bit off (they actually show a ridgetop above Lys Lake). I think you would be closer at

Barnaby Lake and the Southfork Lakes are the other golden trout lakes in the south. You can look up Barnaby Lake on the anglers atlas site. The two lakes up above it are upper and lower southfork. All three have golden trout and are a lot easier to get to than Rainy Ridge. Be sure to fill out a creel card.