Fly Fusion Forums

Puerto Vallarta Fishing?

Not really a fly fishing issue, but I'd appreciate any advice/info. I could get. I'm going to Puerto Vallarta in mid-February with my family, and my fifteen year old son and I are interested in a day of fishing. It doesn't really make financial sense to charter a boat just for the two of us, but I found a couple of companies which offer trips where you sign on as individuals. I'd appreciate any info./advice from anyone who has done a trip this way. How was it? Pros? Cons? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I know a guy...Josh Temple...more of a big game guy, but if it works for you...captjosh@mac.com

www.primetimeadv.com

serious big game fishing, but Josh is a BC boy who knows some others there too...he's always busy, tell him I referred you.

I just returned from 2 weeks in PV. I saw a guy fishing (spin casting) in the roped off swimming area at the hotel and then I saw a guy a few days later with a big throw net in the same swim area!! The best fishing I saw was when I saw a huge flock of pelicans and gulls (100+) moving into shore and stopping around where I was standing in chest deep water and diving all around me for baitfish!! I saw it once in the two weeks I was there and it lasted only a few minutes as the fish moved south. Kinda like a "pelican hatch"!! It was cool, I just happened to be in the right place at the right time!!

My brother, wife and I did a day of fishing out of Barra de Navidad in early January. This is a small fishing village about 5 hours south of PV. We had an epic day. Fishing is only good in the morning hours: 6:30am - 11am. There were no tuna around when we there, instead we fished for Dorado aka mahi mahi. Which is a great game fish and even better eating. We had three dorado and one spanish mackerel in a morning of fishing. All the Dorado were over 20 lbs with the biggest being 25. The spanish mackerel was small, but made for amazing ceviche. The Dorado was great on the bbq. The trip cost 2000 pesos with an extra 500 in tip. We had the boat to ourselves and the guide was a great guy. Dorado fishing is pretty cool. The trolling speed is quite fast and the line is not far below the surface. And for all those salmon fisherman, you use hoochies to catch 'em. Arrange the price before hand, make sure you factor in a generous tip if the guide is good. One good thing is that fishing is a universal language. Enjoy it!!

post-1757-1234232401.jpg

My brother, wife and I did a day of fishing out of Barra de Navidad in early January. This is a small fishing village about 5 hours south of PV. We had an epic day. Fishing is only good in the morning hours: 6:30am - 11am. There were no tuna around when we there, instead we fished for Dorado aka mahi mahi. Which is a great game fish and even better eating. We had three dorado and one spanish mackerel in a morning of fishing. All the Dorado were over 20 lbs with the biggest being 25. The spanish mackerel was small, but made for amazing ceviche. The Dorado was great on the bbq. The trip cost 2000 pesos with an extra 500 in tip. We had the boat to ourselves and the guide was a great guy. Dorado fishing is pretty cool. The trolling speed is quite fast and the line is not far below the surface. And for all those salmon fisherman, you use hoochies to catch 'em. Arrange the price before hand, make sure you factor in a generous tip if the guide is good. One good thing is that fishing is a universal language. Enjoy it!!

That's a pretty good rate, about 200cdn for the trip and 50 for the tip (at an exchange of about 10-11 pesos to the dollar). I'm heading down in April and will be staying about 2 hours south of PV in Guayabito doing a Habitat for Humanity project. Westcoast, did you book in advance via phone or web? If so, could you pass on the contact?

Guayabitos is about an hour north!

That's a pretty good rate, about 200cdn for the trip and 50 for the tip (at an exchange of about 10-11 pesos to the dollar). I'm heading down in April and will be staying about 2 hours south of PV in Guayabito doing a Habitat for Humanity project. Westcoast, did you book in advance via phone or web? If so, could you pass on the contact?