Fly Fusion Forums

Would This Work??

lethfisher

After doing some spey casting on Sunday with all you guys, it definitely got me interested in this style of fishing. I don't really see myself spey casting on the Crow, (should you even spey on smaller rivers?) but come spring and summer I think it would be a lot of fun on the Bow and around Calgary. I especially liked it when Max was saying it was way harder to get tangles because the lines never really cross :)

Anyways, I have an 9 foot 8wt Flueger I got for pike fishing and it has a fighting butt on it. It screws on and off, it's not just a pop on one, and was wondering if you can get a longer fighting butt that would extend the handle out into a more speyish type rod. I know it is only 9 feet so will that be a disadvantage at all?? I also realize that you can do spey casts on a single hander as well. I am more interested in this butt extension if they make such a thing. I guess I could always go to the hardware store and get a big @ss bolt to stick instead of the butt for an extension lol

I attached a couple of pics that show the handle and rod butt extension.

Photo%2057.jpg

Photo%2056.jpg

Hi Lethfisher,

Sounds like you guys had a great day, you hands ideally should be straight down from your shoulders, and no farther apart.

You do get a 4in screw in Extension for fly rods, not sure if the thread will all be the same.

Being 9ft the rod will be limited , but you can still have some fun with it.

Gordo.

You can single hand spey cast almost any rod I believe. I do it on the Highwood with a 9' 4wt rod all the time, so you probably wouldn't have any trouble on the Crow. The line you use can make a difference though. One with a very gradual taper and long head probably wouldn't work too well. You can always look into some of the single hand skagit lines coming out from SA and RIO or Loop Opti Stream and Multi lines.

I don't really see myself spey casting on the Crow, (should you even spey on smaller rivers?)

There are plenty of coastal rivers which are well suited to the long rod but are pretty narrow compared to the bow for example. It's just more efficient and less costly on your body to manage the line plus tips in fast deep coastal water if you need to get down and plan to fish all day long day in and day out.

it coudl work forsure dude i would google soem rod butts online or holler at fishtales and see if htey cant help u in teh right direction for building something that would work.. for a line i would strongly recommend either the airflo 40+ or a loop opti line!

The lines make all the difference in using a single hand rod for Spey Casting techniques...Here on the Island and all over the big rivers of Northern BC many Single hand casters are using the Elixir line for this. What you really need is at least a good 7wt rod ...come by our booth at the show and try an Elixir Line with Poly tip on your rod or ours...you won't believe the feel and abilities in hand.

Booth #52 &53

C

with or without your fighting butt...